pekin duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by penelope77, Sep 23, 2008.

1. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    my pekins are around 7-8 months now. i had someone tell me they wouldn't start laying till spring. anyone know if this is true?

2. chickensandmore

chickensandmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Spiro Ok
    Well everything that I have read seems to say they should have already started, My understanding is that Pekins lay year round from about 51/2 months ..
    I just got a dozen day old ducklings a month ago.. I am hoping for spring..
    Just wondering is the age correct.. they get so big so quick..ours seem to grow each time we go to the barn..
    I hope some else comes along and sets this question straight ..

Good luck with your Ducks

Don [​IMG]

3. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    I've raised quite a few Pekins over the years. Here in South Dakota, they usually quit laying in late summer/early fall, and resume laying in early spring. They are fairly good layers for being classed as meat birds. If you really want lots of duck eggs, get some production runners. They will lay as many eggs as the best laying chicken hens.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    [​IMG] I was under the impression that Pekins only layed once in the spring??

5. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Mine are 5 1/2 months old and just started laying. I am in Western NY .. if that matters. They have been laying eggs for over a week now.

6. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    hmmmmmmm they must have read this post cause yesterday we got three duck eggs!!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  7. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Yippee Penelope! I got three duck eggs today. Now all of my girls are laying.

8. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    I am curious, do they lay in boxes you have prepared? I am freeranging but currently pen at night. I have muscovies, pilgrim geese, and africans. I was wondering what I need to do to be able to gather eggs next spring when they lay. I had one mature hen that layed in the pen most of the year and then started disappearing in August and I assumed she went broody or something and then got eaten.

9. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    All 3 of mine laid then in the same section of the open last night. I think that I need to make them a nest box/area. Looks like they would use one.

10. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I just lay out straw for them and fluff it up good, they make a couple of nests in there and I leave em. they use the hollows they made to lay in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by