Pekin Duck Ratio- mating

cstuller

Hatching
Aug 3, 2016
Raymond, OH
In April, I purchased several Pekins thru a local feed store. I ended up getting 2 females and 3 males in my flock. I know the ratio is unfavorable and could be dangerous. I'm considering rehoming either the females or males due to concerns of aggressive mating. It's BEGUN at almost 4 mths of age. I would prefer to keep my males, but should I have any concerns of aggressive behavior amongst themselves like roosters have?

Oh yes. You need to rehome.
The proper ratio for ducks is (large breeds): 3-4 hens/drake
Medium: 4-5 hens/drake
Small/Bantam: 5-8 hens/drake.
If there are too many males to females drakes will start to rape each other, turn mean, or overbreed the females making them sore, hurt, and scared.
Soon they will lay eggs, btw. 4 months isn't a rare age for them to begin mating.

Would it be okay for me to keep 3 males together without conflict or injury? Thank you!

I suppose, but there's still a huge risk there. They could turn aggressive or start fighting. If you have small dogs, chickens, etc, sometimes drakes will rape those. Their hormones just get to be too much. They also won't lay eggs or hatch ducklings, ever, and won't be much of pets either.

It is quite possible to keep multiple males together. Your odds are in your favor, beings that they grew up together. My males that grew up together do not fight with each other they are friends. That doesn't mean they won't fight with "outsider" males. Then it all depends how aggressive your males are. Try to separate them, look for signs of fighting and go from there. I have 5 males right now living in peace separated from everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom