Pekin Duck w/swollen hock and changing symptoms Please Help

Lisaroohoo

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 8, 2015
Hi Everyone
Sorry this will be long but the symptoms keep changing and some stay same.
I really need some advice. I have a 3 yr old healthy Pekin duck. We had a baby raccoon invade the duck house. Luckily it was to little to do anything to them, it did eat their food. Anyway.. Noticed she was slightly gimping on her left leg. I checked her out and I didn't find anything so I observed her. Her gimping got worse, her hock swelled up so I checked her again still nothing for the cause. Bones were intact, no bumble, etc..
So I separated her from flock. I had to carry her to pond and put her in. She dragged leg behind in pond.. We are rural with no avian vet. I did find a farm vet made an appt. took her.. he said "I don't find anything wrong but her hock is hot and swollen possible infection because of the heat of the hock so he gave an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory keep her separated and in 10 days she'll be fine" I said could she have sprained her leg when raccoon was in there? He said if that's what it is it will be awhile to heal. Well she got worse her hock swelled to the sz of a golf ball. It was so swollen, tight and very hot so I researched since I called that clinic back and vet never returned the call.
I started with epsom salts compresses and started rubbing her hock with frankincense essential oil.. it was working the swelling came down, then I could feel bumps on the inside, with all the swelling you couldn't feel that before and then the swelling came back but not like it was. More bumps in the swollen area under her skin, you can visibly see 1 of the bumps protruding slightly definitely sm. ball shaped. I was putting her in my bathtub with warm water for a time. I gave her colloidal silver in her drinking water because the heat is there. Hock diminishes in hotness but still in the background. I also am giving her waterfowl vitamins w/electrolytes in her water. She has a healthy appetite, drinking water. Now I put her in small pool to control her activity. She has a hard time preening her breast area.. she can't stand to do it she keeps trying, so I help her with blotting wetness w/towel.
I massaged into her hock and leg tea tree with a little coconut oil since someone said could be a internal mite, well that took the swelling out of the top of her hock and the swelling seems to be moving down her leg now. (what is going on? At least a change I think is for good?) At night I do gauze with the tea tree diluted w/ water and lightly wrap the swollen area only ... it is crazy! During day she is out on the grass in a limited area because she does try to gimp along and then has to lay down because she can't go any further. I do remove the gauze wrap when I take her outside to grass.
She is feisty, wants to live and I want her to as well. I have now exhausted my options I think I am on right track finally. Has anyone had this happen? Can you please advise? I am sorry so long this has gone on for over a month now.. Any help would be so very deeply appreciated! Thank you for reading.
I am having hard time posting pics.. I will try again later

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you're having problems with your duck.

If you could post some pictures/ or better yet a video of her injuries, and her, that would be helpful. To post a video, you'll need to upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, then copy/paste here. To post picture, click on attach files on the bottom of the screen, and select the image you want.

What antibiotic, and NSAID was she on? What was the dose for each medication, and how were you administering it to her?

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your duck.

If you could post some pictures/ or better yet a video of her injuries, and her, that would be helpful. To post a video, you'll need to upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, then copy/paste here. To post picture, click on attach files on the bottom of the screen, and select the image you want.

What antibiotic, and NSAID was she on? What was the dose for each medication, and how were you administering it to her?
Thank you Issac for responding. It has been rough watching this and feeling helpless due to lack of knowledge. She was on amoxicillin 5ml 2x day and metacam 3cc every 12 hrs. No change during or after this treatment. Vet did not return call despite leaving 2 messages w/receptionist. I have like I said done epsom salt compresses, acv compresses, rubbed hock area with frankincense 2xs day that affected change w/ heat and swelling and then a halt to progress then friend suggested tea tree mixed/w a little coconut oil(did not get in her feathers was careful to use that sparingly) then soaked a guaze pad w/ tee trea and distilled water and wrapped the affected area at night removing for daytime. Now swelling is less but moving down her leg from upper hock area. Bumps are inside the leg you can see and feel them. I put colloidal silver in her water for possible infection and have her on vitamins and electrolytes.
Separated her into a dog crate with cement bottom with paper and woodchips with little straw for nest so not to strain her good leg. She is eating and drinking normally. Everything is normal but this situation. I retook pics today so this is where we are today. In pic 3 you can see the bumps they are front and back not all are big some very small but round bumps inside just the same
I thank you for your concern and help if you can offer any.. me and Emmy thank you very much!

Attachments

• Duck Leg 1.jpeg
    Duck Leg 1.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Duck standing 2.jpeg
    Duck standing 2.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 57
  • Duck leg 3.jpeg
    Duck leg 3.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 57
Just a few questions, I hope you can answer because it helps us be more helpful in the long run.

What was the MG per Ml for both the Metacam, and the Amoxicillin? Do you still have any of the medications left, if so how much? Does the leg feel warm at all? Does the leg bend properly at the joint? Does she react negatively when you do it? Does anything feel out of place on her leg?

I'm not a certified veterinarian, nor have I had any training in the medical field, but In my personal opinion, I would opt for a different kind of antibiotic, one that's more "broad-spectrum" since there are several bacteria that have become resistant to to the "cillins". That said, I might suggest Enrofloxacin (also known as baytril) it's effective against more bacteria then the amoxicillin, so IMO, it might be worth trying. You can buy Baytril from this website,

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10#:~:text=Baytril is a very Broad,easy to administer to them.

In addition to that,, it might be worth applying whats called DMSO Gel, also know as Dimetyl sulfoxide) to the joint to reduce swelling, pain, and any inflammation present. You can find that here,

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/valhoma-dmso-99-pure-gel-formula-1-lb

Thank you Issac for responding. It has been rough watching this and feeling helpless due to lack of knowledge. She was on amoxicillin 5ml 2x day and metacam 3cc every 12 hrs. No change during or after this treatment. Vet did not return call despite leaving 2 messages w/receptionist. I have like I said done epsom salt compresses, acv compresses, rubbed hock area with frankincense 2xs day that affected change w/ heat and swelling and then a halt to progress then friend suggested tea tree mixed/w a little coconut oil(did not get in her feathers was careful to use that sparingly) then soaked a guaze pad w/ tee trea and distilled water and wrapped the affected area at night removing for daytime. Now swelling is less but moving down her leg from upper hock area. Bumps are inside the leg you can see and feel them. I put colloidal silver in her water for possible infection and have her on vitamins and electrolytes.
Separated her into a dog crate with cement bottom with paper and woodchips with little straw for nest so not to strain her good leg. She is eating and drinking normally. Everything is normal but this situation. I retook pics today so this is where we are today. In pic 3 you can see the bumps they are front and back not all are big some very small but round bumps inside just the same
I thank you for your concern and help if you can offer any.. me and Emmy thank you very much!
Sorry I forgot to write she was taking oral antibiotic and anti-inflammatory by syringe

Just a few questions, I hope you can answer because it helps us be more helpful in the long run.

What was the MG per Ml for both the Metacam, and the Amoxicillin? Do you still have any of the medications left, if so how much? Does the leg feel warm at all? Does the leg bend properly at the joint? Does she react negatively when you do it? Does anything feel out of place on her leg?

I'm not a certified veterinarian, nor have I had any training in the medical field, but In my personal opinion, I would opt for a different kind of antibiotic, one that's more "broad-spectrum" since there are several bacteria that have become resistant to to the "cillins". That said, I might suggest Enrofloxacin (also known as baytril) it's effective against more bacteria then the amoxicillin, so IMO, it might be worth trying. You can buy Baytril from this website,

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10#:~:text=Baytril is a very Broad,easy to administer to them.

In addition to that,, it might be worth applying whats called DMSO Gel, also know as Dimetyl sulfoxide) to the joint to reduce swelling, pain, and any inflammation present. You can find that here,

Yes I can move her leg with no probs no neg reaction at all. At times she has stood on her good leg and stretched the compromised leg straight back so good there. Other than the balls of different size around her swelled area I feel nothing out of place.
Yes from time to time feels warm to hot.. lately just warm and her foot was ice cold yesterday so I massaged it, I felt the swelling in the position it was might have impeded her circulation. Happy to say her foot is normal temp today :)
Thank you for your help and the links... headed over to order now.
I can appreciate that you are not vet or med but I find that over the yrs on this board advice from others has been very sound and pretty accurate. This is our 1st time w/ducks... luckily my chickens very few situations with them over the years, hence my absence from board. So I thank you so very much!

I am having a similar problem with my Peking. Spent 1,700 on my duck in vet bills and now they are not calling me back. How much do you administer to the duck?

Back
Top Bottom