Pekin duck with foot injury

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by New2Quack, Dec 17, 2012.

1. New2Quack

New2Quack New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    A few weeks ago I got my first ducks from a person selling off their flock on the other side of town. I ended up with 2 females, and I'm pretty sure they are Pekin ducks (the owner didn't know, but research points to Pekin!).

They are supposedly very friendly, between 1 and 2 years old, and currently laying eggs. Of course, ever since I got them they have not laid a single a egg and they seem to think I might be out to get them (although 1 of them allows my 8yo to go up and pet her - I call him the duck whisperer now! lol). I've used this website extensively to research what to feed them and how to house them so that I can try and make them feel safe and happy (and hopefully lay an egg or two).

Anyway, today we had them out of their enclosure for 30 minutes or so to wander the barnyard and somehow 1 of them (named "Ducky" by my 6yo) managed to cut her foot on something. We're not sure what she got caught on, as my 8yo was watching them the entire time and the yard is quite clean of debris (it is my horse/cow pasture usually). It was bleeding fairly profusely, leaving a trail of fresh blood and coating her belly with a layer of blood when she held her foot up against her body. After finally managing to catch her (she is NOT the one who likes anyone near!), I determined that there was a slice across the top and side of one toe and no other injuries that I could see.

After reading up on duck injuries online, my son held her while I cleaned the foot in mild soap with warm water, put a big chunk of non-pain-relieving neosporin on, and wrapped it in gauze with medical tape on top. That was this morning, and we kept them both penned in the small shed all day (we wanted to keep them together, as they are thoroughly bonded).

This evening, we went out there and caught her up again and cut off that bandage and re-did it (I was careful to soak it in warm water as I was removing to make sure I didn't cause problems). It looks MUCH better - the bandage was covered in blood, but there appears to be no fresh bleeding now.

My current plan is to keep replacing the bandage daily and keep her penned for awhile and see what happens.
    - Does that wound management sound reasonable?
    - How many days should I plan on keeping them penned up?
    - How long should I keep it bandaged? I feel bad having to squash the foot up to keep a bandage on, but I did read that this was the way to do it.

This is the first bird injury I've ever dealt with so I feel a bit out of my depth, but I usually do my own low & medium level wound care for the livestock.

The good news is that she was WAY easier to deal with (catch & hold & tend) this evening - she even laid her head down across my shoulder!! Aaawwwww... maybe she'll decide to like me after all! :)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] You are doing just fine wth your treatment regimen. My feeling is that her foot will be well on the way to healing within a week. The stress of moving to a new environment has probably caused them to stop laying, and they may very well not start again until next spring. Yes, she'll decide that she likes you. [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    ditto sourland

4. New2Quack

New2Quack New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    Thank you for responding! I feel better that I'm hopefully doing ok by her. :) I think when this is all done she'll be much more used to us! Lol

5. New2Quack

New2Quack New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Ducky is doing MUCH better! Her foot seems to be almost fully healed. Today I let them into the pool for the first time in over a week and they were VERY happy! :) She and Quackers had a good swim.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Great news and very pretty girls. Merry Christmas.

7. Diamond88

Diamond88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    Glad to hear she's doing well! Those ducks are beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by