Pekin duck with leg feathers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AmyJ, Jun 9, 2009.

1. AmyJ

AmyJ Songster

Jan 21, 2009
    Wallkill, NY
    Does anyone know anything about this? We have a 10 week old pekin with leg feathers on the sides of both legs. It seems he is boy from his voice and he is getting a curled tail feather. He's had it since we got him at a few days old. It was the yellow fuzz when he was little and now small white feathers down both legs. I have never seen or heard anything about ducks with leg feathers,so hopefully someone will know if its normal or not!

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    I had a pekin drake with a few leg feathers. I thought they were kind of cute. [​IMG]

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:It isn't really normal but happens enough that those feathers are known as "stubs" and will cause the bird to lose if entered in a show. If my memory is correct they are more common on Cayougs (sp) and on Blue Sweeds.

4. AmyJ

AmyJ Songster

Jan 21, 2009
    Wallkill, NY
    Thanks for your replies! He's not going to be shown, he's more of a pet. My daughter named him Featherjumper.[​IMG], because of the leg feathers lol. I think they are cute also. We can always tell which one he is by them, and also that he is such a piggy lol. He knocks all the other ducks out of the way
    to get food or treats. Thats probably why he is so huge![​IMG]

5. WAIT!! I want to see this! You need to post a picture! Please??? [​IMG]

6. My rouen hen had feathers on her legs too! They were so cute and she was completely normal. =]

7. AmyJ

AmyJ Songster

Jan 21, 2009
    Wallkill, NY
    I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow and post it. The feathers are kind of short but they are there. I just dont know how well they will show up in a picture.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: