Pekin duck wobbly

tlbspears

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2021
My dad's male Pekin duck has started wobbling. When I watched him it's like he's losing his balance. He's eating, drinking, and does move around but stumbles and falls over. it seems to be his right leg that is giving out. I felt up and down the leg and the joints and there is no sign of trauma or breakage. I checked the bottom of his feet and didn't find any wound or sores/blisters.
It's been going on 10 days with a day or 2 when he seemed to get better but now back to the same. Yesterday my dad said his granddaughter said the duck had teary eyes. This is new from the week before. I'm going to try to post videos I took off him last week. He has the red band.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I would start with assuming a niacin deficiency, since pekins are so prone to that. I would get liquid vitamin B complex ASAP from Amazon or your local feed store and start dosing that duck. It does wonders for their leg strength. At the top of the "duck" forum there is a thread about niacin deficiency, which would be helpful to read through. Because pekins are bread to be butchered at about 8 weeks, they have been bread to grow super fast, and it can be more than their legs can keep up with. I dealt with that with one of my pekins and it's an issue that is constantly on this forum. I can't recommend the vitamin B complex enough - you can't over dose them on it. You can offer it over treats or add it to a small dish of water or their food - you just want to make sure that the duck in trouble is getting enough of it.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I would start with assuming a niacin deficiency, since pekins are so prone to that. I would get liquid vitamin B complex ASAP from Amazon or your local feed store and start dosing that duck. It does wonders for their leg strength. At the top of the "duck" forum there is a thread about niacin deficiency, which would be helpful to read through. Because pekins are bread to be butchered at about 8 weeks, they have been bread to grow super fast, and it can be more than their legs can keep up with. I dealt with that with one of my pekins and it's an issue that is constantly on this forum. I can't recommend the vitamin B complex enough - you can't over dose them on it. You can offer it over treats or add it to a small dish of water or their food - you just want to make sure that the duck in trouble is getting enough of it.
Thank you so much. I'll let him know to grab some.

Back
Top Bottom