Pekin duckling behavior

quackquack

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 26, 2007
Fremont ,ca
Hi all , I got a pekin duckling from the fair . He or she has Been w me since two weeks ago . Can't tell his or her age for sure . Was tiny w some tail feathers peaking out like starting to and now it's more but his or her body is still like 95 percent yellow fluff if not more . He or she has grown twice as big . Not sure if it's a giant pekin or standard one . Ok the point lol ... I have handled him or her since day 1 for two or one and a half hours at a time ... And he or she seems ok w me and picks at my clothes in a soft ok way not angry and follows me around . And cries louder if I leave the room . Even tried to jump out of brooder box yesterday ... I'll guess he or she is 3-4 weeks of age ..... Or two and a half maybe ? I have no clue how to know if he or she was day old when I got him or her but he or she was small . Anyway , he or she lets me pet it and doesn't freak when I reach over to pet . And usually is ok w being scooped onto my lap and petted and closes it's eyes sometimes like ah it feels good ...and sometimes seems eager to get off and run some w energy . The thing is it has begun to mouth my finger tips . Not painfully or enough to cut skin or make me red . My nails are brightly painted and I feel that's why maybe and lightly on my toes too ... Once in awhile seems to stand straight up and spread wings for a second and stand normal again and shake it's tail feathers and looks like a stretch . Is that aggression or does it require them to stay straight up w chest out along w hissing? He or she doesn't do that much and walks up to me easily and seems calm and ok . Could it be stretching ? I had him or her on my lap and then I placed him or her back on the floor (I was sitting on ground ) and he or she did that above behavior accompanied w tail shake and continued on normal . Once in awhile he or she turns head to my hand petting and nibbles very softly and continues grooming himself or herself ... Maybe I am reading too into it. Last two days it's been more mouthy w my fingers and toes . Again not roughly just mouthing .... I can't seem to find on the web signs of affection or aggression . I have made it a point to spend one to two hours at a time since day 1 w the duckling . He or she will hand feed and I have fed meal worms. Is that it's way of saying I want meal worms? Lol behavior seemingly began after that recently .. Yet my toes too . And as usual tries to nibble my lip piercing jewelry and earrings .. If I put him or her on my shoulder it stays and grooms itself and nibbles my hair too lol . Stays there unless it stumbles off.... So no open mouth hissing behavior which I heard is aggression and I swear when I picked him or her up randomly yesterday he or she of course moved their leg like to gain balance as I held him or her against me but made a hollow rasp sound . Mouth was closed and sounded more like a nostril dry whistle sound . Is that drake sound? Lol can you tell at 2 and a half to 4 weeks ? Not even tell if he or she is 4 weeks even . Most ducklings I have seen on here seem pretty feathered or enough at 4 weeks and he or she isn't still mostly fuzzy with tail feathers kinda being there and fluffy down butt fluffing. Sorry on the detail . How can you tell between playful behavior slash affection and aggression ? Sometimes when I pet the duckling when it's on the floor next to me he or she stands there not scared and picks at my shorts and the strings and I keep petting and no negative reaction happens ... And when I pet sometimes he or she dives off to eat or drink and explore a little and most times stays put. How can you tell between imprinted duckling versus a duckling who just is used to you and follows you around and seems mostly fine w you ???

A day ago

Hanging out

First night w me

A day ago

Hanging out

First night w me
your duckling is adorable, Too bad you couldn't have gotten 2 though since they like the company of their own kind too. They are called flock animals for a reason. Since you didn't hatch this duckling it likely imprinted on another human and that is why it feels so comfortable with you. the nipping is normal behavior with duckling since they don't have hands they feel and touch with their bills[becareful with jewelry they can nip out an earring in seconds and swallow] Metal poisoning is awful. So unless your seeing terror or behavior where the duckling acts terrified of you then you aren't seeing aggression at all just normal duckling behavior, But i wouldn't let duckling nibble on my body because it can escalate into biting especially when they see you as one of their own. so try to keep hands and feet away from said bill. I know easier said than done. maybe were enclosed shoes or begin now to teach him not to bite or nibble by very gently taking top and lower bill together in your fingers when he begins and says no bite. it can work on a gosling so I don't see why it wouldn't on a duckling. Ducklings are alot of fun but just keep in mind that since he has no other ducks to imitate he will think he is human and that can lead into issues down the road especially if this duckling turns out to be a drake. Do you intend to keep him inside all the time.?

What you are describing is normal duckling behavior. The "problem" is that he/she has no other ducklings to interact with. The standing erect and stretching wings out is exactly that...stretching. The times that he/she seems to want to just take off at a gallop is something ducklings do and in their normal flock environment can be really something to behold. I currently have 17 Cayuga ducklings that are 5 weeks old. I have had them since one day old and they would do the same thing. They will huddle as a flock or be playing in the kiddie pool and suddenly one of them will seem to just go nuts, make a peeping sound and take off running in a big circle. The others will react in the same way. It can be a real circus. It will help both you and your duck if you can manage to get a second duckling about the same age...does not have to be the same breed...for yours to interact with. You will be less in the picture but you will always be the one your duckling imprinted on.

Thanks for the responses . I do plan on getting a second or third duckling in the coming weeks ... And asked on behavior cause I somehow thought if they imprinted or were close w you they always stay on your lap ? I mean if you picked them up randomly . He or she seemed eager to get off and explore some then when I picked him or her minutes later it settled down and sat down and groomed and stretched a leg out straight back and tried sleeping . When they pant is that bad ? He or she began panting like a dog ..... When he or she settled down in my lap .. Wasn't doing it prior . Fed him or her meal worms ... Did I give too many? Lol just not sure on the panting

Thanks for the responses . I do plan on getting a second or third duckling in the coming weeks ... And asked on behavior cause I somehow thought if they imprinted or were close w you they always stay on your lap ? I mean if you picked them up randomly . He or she seemed eager to get off and explore some then when I picked him or her minutes later it settled down and sat down and groomed and stretched a leg out straight back and tried sleeping . When they pant is that bad ? He or she began panting like a dog ..... When he or she settled down in my lap .. Wasn't doing it prior . Fed him or her meal worms ... Did I give too many? Lol just not sure on the panting
What are your temps? seems Pekins are prone to panting, Do you have a current pic of your duckling? depending on age is to what temps you should have it at. are you using a heat lamp? Just make sure his brooder isn't too hot and that it has plenty of fresh cool water.

Ducklings love to run around and explore so when he wants to get down off your lap just means he wants to explore his/her surrounding. doesn't mean it's stopped imprinting on you. isn't it adorable the way they stretch their legs out behind them?

Yeah love the stretch of the leg lol . The pic above is current minus the tiny duckling in water fish pic that was two weeks ago . He or she was panting in my lap a bit since I took him or her out of the brooder box ... That's why I was worried... And my bf said he heard him wheezing ? I know he's not too cold ... He acts ok and drinks a lot and eats a lot . And poops ok too . No acts of lethargy . No dripping nose discharge ... I don't know of such wheezing as I saw him early in the day and heard no wheezing that I know of. What sounds are ok? Aside from peeping? Makes me worried now

It is known for Pekings to overheat faster than other breeds and from my experience, that holds to be true.

I had also noticed the Styrofoam you had in his/her box, which I would highly recommend taking that out. Use something he/she can't chew a part and eat. You can find plastic feeders for very cheap :)

All the behavior traits you have described are normal.

In regard to imprinting, consider it a big plus that your feathery friend is being friendly with you. Contrary to what others might say, I can tell you from my experience that raising a duckling by itself for the first ~4 weeks is best, IF you have the time to spend with it everyday. I have found that raising two or more ducklings together is counterintuitive if you're raising a pet duck who you want to imprint on you. Again, that's just my experience which I know works. The ducklings I have raised together did not imprint as 'much' as the single ducklings I've raised with my strategy. At first they might cling to you, but once you put them outside and on their own things may change to your surprise....but then again, every situation is not of the same so it all depends...

Pekings are awesome and beautiful ducks...very sweet and calm too...I love my Peking...great breed....

Last edited:
Thanks for the response ;) how much a day is sufficient for bonding ? I spend a hour to two hours at a time a couple times a day is that too less?

Oh and forgot ... Didn't use styrofoam after one night ... Got a bowl for him or her to use . I got straw for bedding now is they best? My feed store said it was ....

Back
Top Bottom