Pekin ducklings

Sophia_luvbug

Chirping
May 14, 2022
I’m new to having Pekin ducklings I know because they’re a bigger bird they need more niacin. Mine lay down to eat and drink is that because they don’t have enough Nisen or they just laying down. Also, any tips for raising peek in ducklings?

I’m new to having Pekin ducklings I know because they’re a bigger bird they need more niacin. Mine lay down to eat and drink is that because they don’t have enough Nisen or they just laying down. Also, any tips for raising peek in ducklings?
If they're lying down a lot, it could be a niacin deficiency
Are they on a duckling specific food, or chick feed, are you supplementing niacin?

Poor little fluffies are definitely not getting enough duck nutrition from flock raiser crumbles. They need duck starter crumbles. As they are pekin fluffies they need additional niacin added to their diet.
Your ducklings can have duck starter crumbles for 8+ weeks. Add 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast or brewer's yeast to each cupfull of crumbles, urgently.

If they show any signs of gait problems, give each of them 1ml of High Dose Vit B complex [Durvet] soaked into a few crumbles daily and watch each one eat the crumbles to be sure they get the Vit B complex, until their gait returns to normal

I would grab nutritional yeast 1 tbs to 1 cup feed till 12 weeks
Pekins really need the extra abc this will save you issues down the road
How much brooder space to they have ? How old are they ? Are yoy still supplying heat ?
I’m still supplying heat, I don’t know the exac Exact age but I guess one and a half weeks I’m upgrading the router soon and they still have a heat lamp but they tend to like to sleep near their water dish but occasionally I see them go over to the warm side and sleep I bought Brewers yeast And added it to the crumbles thank you for all the help when I bought the little birds, one’s foot is turned inside a little bit pointing a little more towards the inside than the other but he walks just fine
Poor little fluffies are definitely not getting enough duck nutrition from flock raiser crumbles. They need duck starter crumbles. As they are pekin fluffies they need additional niacin added to their diet.
Your ducklings can have duck starter crumbles for 8+ weeks. Add 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast or brewer's yeast to each cupfull of crumbles, urgently.

If they show any signs of gait problems, give each of them 1ml of High Dose Vit B complex [Durvet] soaked into a few crumbles daily and watch each one eat the crumbles to be sure they get the Vit B complex, until their gait returns to normal
ok I’m not entirely sure what a normal duck. It should look like I’ve only had chickens and button quail. I’ve also accidentally raised a meat bird who need extra support in his legs. I’m assuming this is sort of the same thing with the extra Nisen.

I’m still supplying heat, I don’t know the exac Exact age but I guess one and a half weeks I’m upgrading the router soon and they still have a heat lamp but they tend to like to sleep near their water dish but occasionally I see them go over to the warm side and sleep I bought Brewers yeast And added it to the crumbles thank you for all the help when I bought the little birds, one’s foot is turned inside a little bit pointing a little more towards the inside than the other but he walks just fine

ok I’m not entirely sure what a normal duck. It should look like I’ve only had chickens and button quail. I’ve also accidentally raised a meat bird who need extra support in his legs. I’m assuming this is sort of the same thing with the extra Nisen.
With pekins they are meat birds
They don’t have to be ( my girl is my pet and will never be in my freezer or dinner plate )
They do grow faster then most anc that’s why they need the extra niacin that even duck feed isn’t enough
If they are staying away from the heat more then it’s to warm and should be raised up
I was raising mine every 3-4 days a little
If I noticed them sleeping on the outside or away completely then I knew it was to warm
At 1.5 weeks should be around 80-85f
They say 5 degrees every week
Most ducklings stop using heat around 3 weeks depending on how warm the place they are living in is
My house was warm so mine didn’t use heat by 3 weeks other then right after bath time

With pekins they are meat birds
They don’t have to be ( my girl is my pet and will never be in my freezer or dinner plate )
They do grow faster then most anc that’s why they need the extra niacin that even duck feed isn’t enough
If they are staying away from the heat more then it’s to warm and should be raised up
I was raising mine every 3-4 days a little
If I noticed them sleeping on the outside or away completely then I knew it was to warm
At 1.5 weeks should be around 80-85f
They say 5 degrees every week
Most ducklings stop using heat around 3 weeks depending on how warm the place they are living in is
My house was warm so mine didn’t use heat by 3 weeks other then right after bath time
Ok thank you (and mine will never be in the freezer ether) I know that with meat birds, they tend to pass away earlier due to the health issues, they have with their weight is that the same with meat ducks

Ok thank you (and mine will never be in the freezer ether) I know that with meat birds, they tend to pass away earlier due to the health issues, they have with their weight is that the same with meat ducks
My son and I are hoping our pekins will live good, long, healthy lives -- even the two crested that we have.

Giving a good diet, allowing them plenty of room to forage and swim, and lots of companionship -- other ducks as well as ourselves -- and pekins can live more than 10 yealthy years.

Back
Top Bottom