Pekin ducks hatching

Srichards822

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2020
Hi ! I have a make and female pekin duck that live in my backyard. I live in Missouri and the temps are down to 35-40 at night so I brought some of their eggs in from the coop to incubate . They are starting to hatch and I hear them chirping! Should I set the hatching eggs out in the nest to finish and so they can imprint to mom? Or will it be too cold? Should I keep dad away? Thank you!! Thus us their first hatch

Hi ! I have a make and female pekin duck that live in my backyard. I live in Missouri and the temps are down to 35-40 at night so I brought some of their eggs in from the coop to incubate . They are starting to hatch and I hear them chirping! Should I set the hatching eggs out in the nest to finish and so they can imprint to mom? Or will it be too cold? Should I keep dad away? Thank you!! Thus us their first hatch
Is your mama hen broody? If so, you can put the chicks in with her. The roo won't hurt them if the mama accepts them.

Is your mama hen broody? If so, you can put the chicks in with her. The roo won't hurt them if the mama accepts them.
Hi thank you so much ! I’m so new to this 🤦🏼‍♀️ what is a too and broody? The mana sits on the eggs I didn’t incubate and are still there but doubt they are viable eggs. It’s really pretty cold out there and with the ducks needing constant warmth I’m not sure if I can leave them in there or take them in each night to my garage. Are they safe around dad? I saw where they pecked open an egg 😬 thanks!

Sorry, just realized that we are talking about ducks! A roo is a rooster. In your case the male would be a drake, not a roo.
A broody duck is a duck that has been trying to hatch eggs. You could try putting the babies back in with the broody duck and see if she excepts them. If she does than you should let them stay with her.

Back
Top Bottom