Pekin ducks with my chickens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rooroo, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Rooroo

Rooroo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    Im getting 6 Pekins ducks form TSC 3 are going to my friend and the rest with us...
    in time will I be able to mix them with my 7 chickens? 6 girls and one boy...The coop and the runn is pleny big enough for them all....

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Probably not a good idea. I mixed my 2 chickens with 12 ducks for a month, and both chickens died. [​IMG] Not to mention they wre ALWAYS fighting!!!

P.s gooooooooooood luck, of the Irish!!!! [​IMG]

3. greatestgrammie

greatestgrammie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    Amarillo,Tx 79118
    I have raised my Peking ducks with my chickens with no real issues.
    Ocassionally I will see the Drake and Rooster at odds but it is very short lived and actually kinda funny to watch.
    ( I have 2 mating pairs of Peking ducks and 18 chickens with a rooster.)

4. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I've got 2 Pekin ducks with my chickens, and there has never been a problem. The ducks just kinda do their own thing, and don't associate with the chickens much.

Paula [​IMG]

5. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    Will they have a pond to go to? I can't say there buddies. My ducks come up to eat several times a day. The free range chickens (2 roo's 1 hen) try and push them away from the feed. In the beginning I would keep the chickens back so they could eat and waddle back to the pond. Now they pretty much leave them alone. (most of the time!!!) I beleive the key is they both are not confined. That gives them more space to stay out of each others way.

When I boarded my horse there was this duck and chicken who had all there eggs together. They would sit on those eggs side by side. Out of it came one duckling. They were so proud. The chicken and the duck protected this duck from the barn dogs....Soooo, anything is possible. [​IMG]

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    water fowl will foul the drinking water. Keep them separate.

7. Rooroo

Jul 2, 2008
    My Roo is kinda a wimp....He's very mellow so I think this might work...The ducks are about a week old... How old are they when you buys them from TSC..? My runn for the chickens is 14" x 30 so i think I"ll section off an area on the end of the runn for the ducks. I would think the ducks would have to be fully grown before they are let loose with the chickens..

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  8. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Mine all run together, ducks, chickens, geese. They all get along fine..1 small pool for the pekins, jumbo pool for toulouse, 4 other water dishes scattered for the chickens....JUST MAKE SURE THAT IF YOU PUT A POOL IN THAT YOU PUT A CONCRETE BLOCK OR BIG ROCK IN IT, DUE TO IF YOUR CHICKENS THINK THEY ARE DUCKS THEY CAN GET OUT!!!!! [​IMG] I had one death due to that, it was heartbreaking [​IMG] , so now I have multiple blocks and rocks in mine and it gives the ducks something to move around in the pool too!

[​IMG]

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    My chickens hatched and raised my ducks... the ducks come back up and free range with the chickens now, but won't stay in their duck house or coop. They do go in the coop and run during the day when they want to though. Other then that, everyone gets along.

10. Rooroo

Jul 2, 2008
    Wow...GREAT news thanks so much....These 6 Pekings are growing like wild fire....Will the ducks have to be fully grown before I let them roam with the chickens..?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by