Pekin has a eye problem!

Oct 14, 2021
Western Washington
My sweet pekin has a eye problem his eyes are droopy and they bubble he can dunk his head in water and we have been giving him eye drops he also seems like he has trouble walking should we take him to the vet? He is a realy sweet duck but he seems sleepy all the time and can not run fast and has trouble keeping up with the flock should I move him inside with me? I love him a lot and will do anything for him!

I am not experienced with ducks. I would keep him isolated to keep a closer eye on him. I’m writing this so your post gets boosted and someone with more knowledge and experience can reply. Hope your Pekin gets better

If you can take an animal to a vet, that is always the best course of action. None of us are experts but we try to help you the best we can.

Can you provide pictures of your ducks eye and a video of your duck walking? What are you currently feeding it? What are the eye drops you are using?

Since it is a pekin they are know for leg issues. Can you take a picture of the bottom of the ducks feet. I would also feel the legs and feel for any warm spots on the legs. This will indicate an injury or infection.

He sounds like he could have a niacin deficiency which is extremely common in pekins and would recommend Durvet's B complex. Give orally do not dilute in water. As for the eye I know in your other thread others suggested Terramycin which is an optical antibiotic gel that is available over the counter. Terramycin is amazing when it comes to treating eye issues and is great for anything from foamy eye to actual eye infections to helping an eye injury heal.

B- Complex:

https://www.farmstore.com/product/durvet-high-level-vitamin-b-complex-100-ml/

Terramycin:
https://www.farmstore.com/product/terramycin-ophthalmic-ointment/

1638036015667-1766801829.jpg
16380360516031309946236.jpg
16380360516031309946236.jpg 1638036015667-1766801829.jpg
He sounds like he could have a niacin deficiency which is extremely common in pekins and would recommend Durvet's B complex. Give orally do not dilute in water. As for the eye I know in your other thread others suggested Terramycin which is an optical antibiotic gel that is available over the counter. Terramycin is amazing when it comes to treating eye issues and is great for anything from foamy eye to actual eye infections to helping an eye injury heal.

B- Complex:

https://www.farmstore.com/product/durvet-high-level-vitamin-b-complex-100-ml/

Terramycin:
https://www.farmstore.com/product/terramycin-ophthalmic-ointment/
I gave him brewers yeast since he was a day old thank you I will get terramycin

If you can take an animal to a vet, that is always the best course of action. None of us are experts but we try to help you the best we can.

Can you provide pictures of your ducks eye and a video of your duck walking? What are you currently feeding it? What are the eye drops you are using?

Since it is a pekin they are know for leg issues. Can you take a picture of the bottom of the ducks feet. I would also feel the legs and feel for any warm spots on the legs. This will indicate an injury or infection.
I will take him to the vet as soon as i can I am feeding him purina duck pellets and it has niacin in it and he also free ranges so he can be in his hole yard and he lives with runners and khakis so I think he gets to move a lot I will take a video of him waling tomorrow because it is getting super dark out we are using vetrican flus eye drops I am sorry I took so long to get back to you
Brewers yeast does not contain anywhere near enough for Pekins.
Ok! What do we give pekins? Do you think I should seperate him?

Last edited:
I will take him to the vet as soon as i can I am feeding him purina duck pellets and it has niacin in it and he also free ranges so he can be in his hole yard and he lives with runners and khakis so I think he gets to move a lot I will take a video of him waling tomorrow because it is getting super dark out we are using vetrican flus eye drops I am sorry I took so long to get back to you
I would definitely see what the vet says as they can do a full exam of the duck. I can only tell you what it appears to be from pictures.

The ring around the eye looks like the crusty build up from fluid being released from the eye. I would recommend flushing the eye with saline a couple times a day. I like to use a syringe, you just want to make sure you don't blast the eye with it. I would also give it a fresh luke warm bath daily to help keep the eye clean and help remove some of the build up on the eye. I would also take a washcloth and soak it in warm warm and soak the ring around the eye to help soften up the buildup. It can take some time for the build up to go away. The terramycin mentioned above can also be used to help treat it if it has become infected.

I also looked at a couple of your other posts and the feathers looks damage and dirty even for a duck just out of the water. This could be because their molting or a possible hygiene issue, which may have lead to the eye infection. I feel like it could be a hygiene issue, because I can also see unzipped feathers in the other Pekin as well. Pekins unfortunately are sometimes not the best at keeping themselves clean. Mine never dunks her head in water unless she is swimming. Pekin sometimes require extra care to help maintain their feathers, eyes and nares that other ducks don't. Some require misting to encourage preening. I occasionally need to put mine in the pool so she will clean herself. Again, it could just be them molting. Their feathers will look poor when they are molting.

I agree with @HollowOfWisps that Pekin do need more niacin than other ducks. Purina duck feed does contain the minimum amount of niacin most ducks need. Pekins can do ok with supplementing brewers yeast, but that is not always the case. It is more common with Pekins, but it happens even with other duck breeds. It is very possible that it is a niacin deficiency. With a Pekin, it is also just as likely to bumblefoot or some other leg injury.

I hope the vet visit goes well.

I would definitely see what the vet says as they can do a full exam of the duck. I can only tell you what it appears to be from pictures.

The ring around the eye looks like the crusty build up from fluid being released from the eye. I would recommend flushing the eye with saline a couple times a day. I like to use a syringe, you just want to make sure you don't blast the eye with it. I would also give it a fresh luke warm bath daily to help keep the eye clean and help remove some of the build up on the eye. I would also take a washcloth and soak it in warm warm and soak the ring around the eye to help soften up the buildup. It can take some time for the build up to go away. The terramycin mentioned above can also be used to help treat it if it has become infected.

I also looked at a couple of your other posts and the feathers looks damage and dirty even for a duck just out of the water. This could be because their molting or a possible hygiene issue, which may have lead to the eye infection. I feel like it could be a hygiene issue, because I can also see unzipped feathers in the other Pekin as well. Pekins unfortunately are sometimes not the best at keeping themselves clean. Mine never dunks her head in water unless she is swimming. Pekin sometimes require extra care to help maintain their feathers, eyes and nares that other ducks don't. Some require misting to encourage preening. I occasionally need to put mine in the pool so she will clean herself. Again, it could just be them molting. Their feathers will look poor when they are molting.

I agree with @HollowOfWisps that Pekin do need more niacin than other ducks. Purina duck feed does contain the minimum amount of niacin most ducks need. Pekins can do ok with supplementing brewers yeast, but that is not always the case. It is more common with Pekins, but it happens even with other duck breeds. It is very possible that it is a niacin deficiency. With a Pekin, it is also just as likely to bumblefoot or some other leg injury.

I hope the vet visit goes well.
Thank you! What can we use for more niacin? We have been putting terramysin on his eyes and they are not looking better. Do you know of anything else we can put on his eye?

You can give ducks vitamin b complex. @HollowOfWisps mentioned it the post above. You can also get it from TSC as well. It says injectable, but you can just take give it orally. You can give the duck 1ml of the vitamin b complex a day. If it is a naicin deficiency, you should improvement in the way it walks. However it can sometimes take multiple weeks to see the effect.

For the eye, the best things really are saline flushes, baths in clean water, and wiping the build up with a damp washcloth. The terramycin can clear any infection up, but it will not clean off the buildup around the eye. Only proper cleaning will. One of my Pekins had a minor eye irritation, and I believe it took a couple weeks to clean all the buildup off. If you are still concerned, a vet can provide you a more expert opinion.

Back
Top Bottom