Pekin has bad leg/foot!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gilbert2, Aug 21, 2016.

1. gilbert2

gilbert2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    Dear Friends,
    I have never had any health problems with any of my ducks (for three years) until now. For the last day and a half, my Pekin has begun limping. Her right leg/foot is painful. She has trouble putting weight on it. And I have NO IDEA how to diagnose anything.
    So far, I held her still (which she hated) and palpated everywhere, starting with her foot, gently pressing everywhere on the way up. I stopped at her thigh (well, actually the tibiotarsus), when she did not seem to have any localized pain. She has a full range of movement in the joint. So now I am at a total loss. Before driving 30-mines to the vet, I want to call upon all of you.
    Does anyone know anything about this? Can it just be some kind of bruise?
    I honestly hope to hear from you, and hopefully get some facts.
    Thank you all so much.

2. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    If no bumblefoot, not hot or swollen, obvious break or dislocation, it may be a sprain.
    My pekin has been limping for about 9 days - I keep checking her foot (clear), no swelling, not hot, full range of motion, but she may have bumped or twisted her leg on something. Encouraging her to swim a lot to take weight off and get exercise.

Nobody else here had any specific idea of what it could be when I asked. Maybe someone will be able to help.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  3. gilbert2

gilbert2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    Thanks so much for your reply!
    Gil

4. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    look close for bumble foot one of my pekins got it often but it was hard to spot feel for heat on the leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by