Pekin has stopped laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by yomama, Sep 15, 2010.

1. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I have a female Pekin that is apx 6 months old. Since she was about 5 months old, she had been laying at least 3 eggs a week. I thought that it was weird that she had started so early, but my hens (chickens) that she was raised with starting laying at 5 months old as well. . They were all hatched March 08, 2010. Anyway, she stopped laying about 3 weeks ago. She isn't molting. I have read that some ducks only lay a certain amount of eggs per year, and that they do have an end to a "season". If this is the case, what is the duration of a season for a Pekin? Any other reasons why she stopped laying? She is my only duck, and is living with 7 other hens (chickens) and a rooster. They free range in a confined yard, and I do look around regularly for new nesting spots. I have never found an egg from her outside of the coop. There also hasn't been any unusual stress or environmental changes going on. She seems to be in good health, and everyone seems to get along. Any ideas?
    Thanks for any advice!!

2. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Anyone??? [​IMG]

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Mine laid about 15 eggs in total during early spring, and hasn't laid since. But I'm also not sure, cause she caught an infection just about the time she stopped laying. She still has it even today. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by