Pekin is pidgeon toed

ChickandDuckMomma

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2021
Hey, ya'll! My 11 week old pekin has been a little whobbly, lately. I have been giving her niacin supplements (100 mg a day in pill form) and she has been walking MUCH better. I have noticed she her toes are pointed a little inward. The left one especially. Is this something that the niacin will correct, or do I need to start looking into a splint for her legs? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Do you have a picture? Is this a pekin duck or chicken? Niacin is used for leg health in ducks, while riboflavin is used for chicken leg health. Leg bone deformities can be common in all poultry, and is usually noticeable early, but may worsen with age. Here is a good thread with a lot of suggestions, and read through to the end for advice by @casportpony :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-my-duck-has-messed-up-legs.1289963/
Hi! This is a pekin duck(ling) about 11 weeks old. I will add a picture later on. She is walking around pretty well, but does get a little off balance at times. Her feet are not severe, but I was wondering because niacin wears off fast and they cannot store it- if maybe giving her the 100mg pill split into 50mg 2x's a day may be better for her?

How long have you been giving the niacin? What brand? Too much niacin will be a waste as it will be discarded by the body. 100mg per day seems to be plenty. It can take weeks to correct any deficiencies.

How long have you been giving the niacin? What brand? Too much niacin will be a waste as it will be discarded by the body. 100mg per day seems to be plenty. It can take weeks to correct any deficiencies.
Thanks for the response. I have had her on a daily dose of niacin for about 4 days. She seems to be getting her coordination back. She is even quacking loudly again, as she did when she was the leader of the flock. I will just keep her on it until her legs and balance fully correct. She is also eating Purina Flock raiser, as well as getting brewers yeast powder mixed into her waterer. I have 2 other pekins out there and they seem to be doing okay, but they are about half her age. I want to cover as much as I can to keep them from developing problems as well.

It sounds like continuing to supplement for a few weeks will really help. I always feed ducklings extra niacin until they are pretty much adult sized and feathered. That covers the growing phase. Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom