Pekin laying questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by trainman, Aug 25, 2014.

1. trainman

trainman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Huntsville, AR
    I have 2 Pekin drakes and 6 hens. They have started laying recently. They seem to lay the eggs wherever they are at the time. I have a shelter for them with a nest box but they don't lay in there even though they all will "hang" around inside at times. . They seem to like laying in the pond along the edge of the bank but never in the same spot. Is there a way to get them to lay in one spot consistently so we don't have an Eater Egg hunt every day?

Also......do ducks cackle or make noises like a chicken after laying an egg? I haven't noticed them doing that but it would probably help locate the eggs.

Thanks!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have runners, but there are some things that many domestic ducks do, and laying eggs here and there seems to be one of them.

What helps here is a couple of things - not to let them out too early (usually eggs are laid by 9, and there are exceptions). Another is having an outdoor area they are kept till a little later in the day, so narrow down the area to search in.

And sometimes I still miss eggs buried in the bedding!

3. signdmush228

signdmush228 New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    Stark, MN
    My ducks lay eggs pretty much anywhere in our yard.. But we've found that they do it more under shade or under a low hanging branch or shelter.
    Try setting up a table-like sawhorse with some hay underneath. This will serve as a shelter/shade area for all ducks, and the hens will use it as a nesting site eventually.

Good luck and welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by