Pekin or Cayuga?

Okay...they say that "turnabout is fair play", so, I just happen to have a couple of questions for you...if that's OK...
First off, you mentioned 'parents' and 'school' in a previous post, so I'm just curious as to how old you are? I'm only asking this because I believe that you have to be at least 18 to purchase live animals from a hatchery. I'm not positive though, that's why I'm bringing it up, because I wouldn't want you to get all excited about getting them only to find out that you can't. Unless your parents are going to order them for you, then that would solve that problem. Also, I was wondering what hatchery your planning on using? I'm asking this because, off the top of my head, I can't think of any that will let you order only 1 goose. The least you can order is usually 2, at the minimum. So I don't want you to get your hopes up about being able to order just one, only to find out that you can't. I also don't know if you're aware or not, that just because you want a Welsh, a Cayuga and a Toulouse, doesn't necessarily mean that those specific breeds will be available when you're ready to place your order. So you may want to have a couple of 'backups' in mind, otherwise the hatchery you order from will more than likely substitute something they have on hand for something they don't have (let's say for instance...they quote you a hatch day of the 19th. Well, what happens if the 19th rolls around and no Cayugas hatch on that day. Lots of times, they'll send you a substitute and sometimes they'll email you first and sometimes they won't).
I'm not trying to talk you out of your dream farm, really. I only want you to be aware of some of the realities beforehand so you aren't disappointed later, that's all.

My Pekins are very friendly. I think all breeds can be very friendly if handled enough from when they are ducklings.

Yes, my parents will be ordering them for me. And I'm using metzer farms. Knowing that they might not allow me to add just one goose, I attempted add a female to my cart and if it worked and it did (good thing I'm not getting a gander anymore because it won't let me do that) also I'm aware of this, but from what I've seen is that the ducks are available year round at Metzer but I will have to wait for the goose. I sent an email asking when they will be available today. Just need to wait for a reply. But I do feel like I'm getting over excited because the city council might still decide to keep the law prohibiting poultry in place. Earliest they'll bring it up again is Sept. 11.

I'm so glad your parents are 'in the loop', so to speak. I've worked with rescue groups in the past and it always amazes me when we go to pick up a relinquished pet and the parents stand there and say things like, "We had no idea an alligator would get so big" or "We didn't know Jr. had a pet orangutan living in his room for the past 6 months". Sometimes after we leave I think 'Man, that was scary.' Tell me, 'Which one's were the adults in there?' So you can see why I was starting to have some reservations when you started to refer to going to school and your parents. I give you 'kudos' for all the research that you've apparently done prior to actually acquiring the intended pets! That shows a great deal of maturity on your part, which means that you'll be a responsible duck/goose owner when you finally do get them. GOOD JOB !!!
woot.gif

I'm jealous--I would LOVE to be able to get a female goose to produce ginormous eggs to do pysanky! (If you've never seen pysanky, they are like Easter eggs on steroids in terms of their awesomeness). Good luck with your order!

I am thinking maybe I am a bit late getting in on this thread, but had to add my quick two cents just in case the decision was still up in the air because I myself have had a BAD experience raising cayugas!! I would vote "NO" on the Cayuga, and I cannot speak to a pekin duck as I haven't owned one personally...but I know some folks that have owned pekins. Each duck has its own unique personality so take breed generalizations with a grain of salt, and see if there is any way you can meet the duckies first and pick your fave as young as possible (or maybe hatch your own and sell the extras). If you are looking for pets I would be a bit picky on who I would pick out in other words.

Anywhom let me tell you my Cayuga story. My husband, son, and I got three sexed Cayuga females mail order from a hatchery (3 days old). They were our first ducks and from our research would be nice and quiet for our streetcar suburb home with a really large yard. We planned on raising two of them for meat while learning how to raise ducklings as we were also told that cayugas are super hardy and we figured we couldn't mess up with them. I can say that cayugas would survive a nuclear bomb, and they are darn hardy. BUT! Our cayugas have the most one dimensional, annoying, almost non-existent personalities of any bird I have ever owned. Majorly skittish too.They are NOT quiet either! They squack and carry on non-stop and make a weird "honk-quack" loudly. Now granted, I understand that cayugas are meat birds, but they would eat and eat like such gluttons it was gross. They would choke on their feed from swallowing so much so fast and wouldn't dip their heads in their water bowl no matter how hard they gagged to get more food down. I know all ducks eat a lot, but these guys...it was out of this world in comparison to other breeds. They were lazy foragers, not "okay" foragers like the breed is usually noted to be. They have been handled and trained a ton but still fight being picked up, and aren't big on being lovey. When they are in the yard they squack and sound the alarm over everything stupid and non-threatening imaginable, and when there are REAL threats...they don't even pay any attention. They whine, whine, whine..."stay close or I will scream!!! Wait!! Don't touch me I am scared, but don't walk more than 3 ft away, oh no that blade of grass blew in the wind, feed me more even though I have had more than plenty enough food today, treats, and I can forage". Hard to get them to go into the water too, and they don't preen themselves all that well.

While raising the cayugas we had some welsh harlequin eggs in the bator. Once the welshies hatched it was a totally different story because they on the other hand are LOVELY ducks and I ADORE them! Much, much more intelligent, curious, snuggly, and interactive. They don't eat like such swines and are daintier in personality/more graceful. MUCH cleaner with food, water, and preening themselves. Will play in the water, but also equally happy if not in the water. They decimate all the bugs in the garden and even catch house flies mid air! Sooo much more quiet too!! The welshies are VERY laid back, and they only scream and holler rarely when something is ACTUALLY wrong, and when the issue is fixed they are happy. Plus they are smaller too, and have such beautiful plumage.

I would say see what other folks say about pekins, and maybe consider a welsh harlequin?! The welsh harlequins totally rock and they are critically endangered too. They will give you lots of eggs if you ever have an interest in that down the road (not just for pets only), and the drakes are sweet cuddle bugs just as much as the girlies. Best thing I can say about our cayugas is that they make for a great tasting meat. Yum!

Good luck and am sure you will enjoy your ducks whatever you choose!

An orangutan for 6 months without his parents knowing? How is that even possible?

Seeing as I won't be able to eat all the eggs I had been looking into that! I was most excited for the goose eggs too!

I have actually decided to get a Welsh harlequin and a cayuga :) I've heard a lot of people that have had good experiences with them. I'm sorry you haven't.

I am thinking maybe I am a bit late getting in on this thread, but had to add my quick two cents just in case the decision was still up in the air because I myself have had a BAD experience raising cayugas!! I would vote "NO" on the Cayuga, and I cannot speak to a pekin duck as I haven't owned one personally...but I know some folks that have owned pekins. Each duck has its own unique personality so take breed generalizations with a grain of salt, and see if there is any way you can meet the duckies first and pick your fave as young as possible (or maybe hatch your own and sell the extras). If you are looking for pets I would be a bit picky on who I would pick out in other words.

Anywhom let me tell you my Cayuga story. My husband, son, and I got three sexed Cayuga females mail order from a hatchery (3 days old). They were our first ducks and from our research would be nice and quiet for our streetcar suburb home with a really large yard. We planned on raising two of them for meat while learning how to raise ducklings as we were also told that cayugas are super hardy and we figured we couldn't mess up with them. I can say that cayugas would survive a nuclear bomb, and they are darn hardy. BUT! Our cayugas have the most one dimensional, annoying, almost non-existent personalities of any bird I have ever owned. Majorly skittish too.They are NOT quiet either! They squack and carry on non-stop and make a weird "honk-quack" loudly. Now granted, I understand that cayugas are meat birds, but they would eat and eat like such gluttons it was gross. They would choke on their feed from swallowing so much so fast and wouldn't dip their heads in their water bowl no matter how hard they gagged to get more food down. I know all ducks eat a lot, but these guys...it was out of this world in comparison to other breeds. They were lazy foragers, not "okay" foragers like the breed is usually noted to be. They have been handled and trained a ton but still fight being picked up, and aren't big on being lovey. When they are in the yard they squack and sound the alarm over everything stupid and non-threatening imaginable, and when there are REAL threats...they don't even pay any attention. They whine, whine, whine..."stay close or I will scream!!! Wait!! Don't touch me I am scared, but don't walk more than 3 ft away, oh no that blade of grass blew in the wind, feed me more even though I have had more than plenty enough food today, treats, and I can forage". Hard to get them to go into the water too, and they don't preen themselves all that well.

While raising the cayugas we had some welsh harlequin eggs in the bator. Once the welshies hatched it was a totally different story because they on the other hand are LOVELY ducks and I ADORE them! Much, much more intelligent, curious, snuggly, and interactive. They don't eat like such swines and are daintier in personality/more graceful. MUCH cleaner with food, water, and preening themselves. Will play in the water, but also equally happy if not in the water. They decimate all the bugs in the garden and even catch house flies mid air! Sooo much more quiet too!! The welshies are VERY laid back, and they only scream and holler rarely when something is ACTUALLY wrong, and when the issue is fixed they are happy. Plus they are smaller too, and have such beautiful plumage.

I would say see what other folks say about pekins, and maybe consider a welsh harlequin?! The welsh harlequins totally rock and they are critically endangered too. They will give you lots of eggs if you ever have an interest in that down the road (not just for pets only), and the drakes are sweet cuddle bugs just as much as the girlies. Best thing I can say about our cayugas is that they make for a great tasting meat. Yum!

Good luck and am sure you will enjoy your ducks whatever you choose!

Wow, you really DID have some seriously bad luck with Cayugas! Where did yours come from? It doesn't sound like they are good stock or you ended up with all the rotten eggs of the batch.

Back
Top Bottom