1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PEKIN OR RUNNER DUCKS?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BackyardAnita, Nov 12, 2012.

1. BackyardAnita

BackyardAnita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Which is the better breed????
    Pekin Duck
    or
    Runner Duck?

2. Scottyhorse

Scottyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    Eastern Wa
    Well, I have heard Pekins are friendlier, but I have heard the same for Runners. With runners, you can have lower fences, but it's really up to you :D

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    better for what?
    Better for meat....Pekin
    Better for eggs...Runner (of those two)

4. Yolk

Yolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Just got an assortment of Runners 29 Oct. Growing fast. Funny ducks. Wanted to try the eggs. Look on youtube for them. Got some good vids of them.

5. JJchiknshak

JJchiknshak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    wellsburg, Wv.
    If you want a duck that is like a pet, or at least very tame, do not go with runners. I have 4 and i love them, but runners are the most flighty duck breed around.
    They are EXCELLENT layers, and are a blast to watch run around the yard together. You don't have to worry about flying because they can't.I raised mine indoors, and they still act terrified of me when I approach their pen.
    Sometimes they will eat from my hand, other times not.

They are fantastic, but like I said, not really pets.
    Oh, and my girls go broody regularly.

6. Scottyhorse

Scottyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    Eastern Wa
    If you want one that is friendly, I would go with Muscovies!

7. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    People told me and I've read many times that Pekins make wonderful pets. I have 2 Pekins (drakes) that I raised from ducklings and they are not very friendly. One will eat out of my hand. Neither of them like to be held. (They are currently living inside my guest bathroom while one is being treated for bumblefoot.)

I have had 4 Runners. Three of them have been the sweetest ducks ever; they even take turns sleeping on our bed with us. My 4th Runner will eat out of my hand and will let me hold her, but she doesn't like it.

I think it really depends on the temperament of the duck parents. I held, play with, etc. all of my ducklings like crazy. Out of 16 ducks, I would say only 4 have been extremely sweet and tame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by