PEKIN OR RUNNER DUCKS?

Well, I have heard Pekins are friendlier, but I have heard the same for Runners. With runners, you can have lower fences, but it's really up to you :D

Just got an assortment of Runners 29 Oct. Growing fast. Funny ducks. Wanted to try the eggs. Look on youtube for them. Got some good vids of them.

If you want a duck that is like a pet, or at least very tame, do not go with runners. I have 4 and i love them, but runners are the most flighty duck breed around.
They are EXCELLENT layers, and are a blast to watch run around the yard together. You don't have to worry about flying because they can't.I raised mine indoors, and they still act terrified of me when I approach their pen.
Sometimes they will eat from my hand, other times not.

They are fantastic, but like I said, not really pets.
Oh, and my girls go broody regularly.

People told me and I've read many times that Pekins make wonderful pets. I have 2 Pekins (drakes) that I raised from ducklings and they are not very friendly. One will eat out of my hand. Neither of them like to be held. (They are currently living inside my guest bathroom while one is being treated for bumblefoot.)

I have had 4 Runners. Three of them have been the sweetest ducks ever; they even take turns sleeping on our bed with us. My 4th Runner will eat out of my hand and will let me hold her, but she doesn't like it.

I think it really depends on the temperament of the duck parents. I held, play with, etc. all of my ducklings like crazy. Out of 16 ducks, I would say only 4 have been extremely sweet and tame.

Back
Top Bottom