Pekin Owners

Quote:
A small kiddie pool and 3 pekins - you'll be emptying daily.
My ducks were more than happy to ignore the plants I had in their pond for a couple of days and then decided they had enough of ignoring them and tried to eat them all. They killed a few and the others are coming back now.
Unfiltered - not going to work with 3 ducks unless you have a huge pond.

I recently built ~1000 gallon pond for my now 2 ducks and am still waiting for the cycle to be complete and am battling algae. Hopefully once it is really going, it will take care of itself for a month without needing too much intervention.

So I'll just empty the pond on an almost daily basis, trust me, the yard and surrounding plants will LOVE the moisture anyway, this
will just be a more fun way to water the yard and garden then a boring old sprinkler.

-Pete

p.s. any way to keep bad smells down? I imagine hosing off the poop...

I have a dog/duck yard (ducks arrived after the dog that needed that yard passed). They now use it only to get their food and into their duck house at night.
But prior to that, their pool was in there. So I'd just hose down the pea stone each morning and didn't have an issue with smell. Now that they aren't in there so much, I just hose around their water dish (where they seem to poop).
But mine free range all day, so they poop everywhere. If they poop in a walk way, it gets hosed.

Quote:
I just bought 50 feeder fish (the guy at the pet store thought I was crazy) and put them in my stock tank. The idea was to fish out a few here and there as treats but it seems my ducks found them already! lol

I have 4 pekins and they are very food motivated ducks.
big_smile.png
My females are very vocal when things don't go their way. The only thing I tell people when it comes to the pekins is if you don't plan to free range plan to feed them - a lot!!! My pekins go through so much more food vs. my other ducks when they aren't free ranged.

The only problem we've had with the pekins is that in our free range situation they seem more vunerable. We've lost 5 ducks to a dog and that includes 3 of 7 pekins (versus 1 of 8 mallards and 1 of 5 sweeds).

My husband and son like the pekins the best.

frow.gif
Years ago (I was a teenager) I inherited a fuzzy yellow duckling that a "city" friend won at the State Fair. She was a Pekin, and followed me around. One cold day I found her sick, so I brought her inside to warm her and hopefully save her. She rallied. Soon I heard my mom call, "Come get your duck".
"Where is she?"
"In my bedroom, on my bed with me."
woot.gif
Very friendly ducks when handled while young!

Back
Top Bottom