Pekin problem? I hope not!

Birdmom2020

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Yadkin river area NC
I have 2 pekins. I thought for sure both were females. I've been googling some of their recent behavior and now I'm worried I have a male. These guys are 5 months old (give or take a weeks or so.. I lost track of the weeks!) But I noticed a few weeks ago that one was forcing the other to drink. And what I mean by that is they were both standing in front of the water bowl (I have 2 totes that are shallow enough for them but big and a kiddie pool for them) and the one wasn't drinking so the other one kept pushing it's head into the water. I haven't seen that in a couple weeks but now I'm the last few days the one who was pushing the other head into the water has started doing this again and they both Bob at each other. But the one is now pushing the other head down on the ground too and biting the back of it's neck but not mounting or anything. I don't know what this means so any info would be greatly appreciated. I did read that the bobbing is a way to flirt but what about pinning the head down? Should I be worried? Do I need to stop it when I see it? Thank for any help!

The Females usually have loud voices while the males have.. Idk how to explain it.. low? Lol anyway you can usually just tell by their voices and how they sound idk how to explain it very good but the guys kinda sound like- well they arent as loud and they are usually more quiet than females are ❤

Also i apologize im really bad at wording things right 😅 and im new. I hope this helped, tho.

A female duck has a loud quack. The male has a raspy voice. Almost as if he has a sore throat. Your ducks should be old enough to tell the difference. Can you post a video of them?
I'll try. Everytime I've done that and tried to upload here from YouTube it doesn't let me. But they both sound the same and it's the loud quack. Idk if this makes a difference but one carries it's butt a lot closer to the ground than the other.

Also, shouldn't the male (if there is one) have a Drake feathers by now? Neither of them have it.

The Females usually have loud voices while the males have.. Idk how to explain it.. low? Lol anyway you can usually just tell by their voices and how they sound idk how to explain it very good but the guys kinda sound like- well they arent as loud and they are usually more quiet than females are ❤

Also i apologize im really bad at wording things right 😅 and im new. I hope this helped, tho.
I understand what your saying. Don't worry ❤️

They both sound the same and neither have a Drake feathers. I thought by now boys would if I had a boy.

So that means I must have a male then right? Dang that sucks! I don't want more ducks but I know I'll have to get rid of the male. They been together their whole life. Would they be okay separated or do I need to keep them together?
not for sure, my female is always getting on top of her sister and our drake. it’s more of a dominance thing sometimes. can you post a seperate video of each one quacking? that way we can see for sure

Back
Top Bottom