Pekin question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Anabariful, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Anabariful

Anabariful Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Beautiful Ohio
    I currently own Runners and love them but was thinking of getting some Pekin ducks. Is it possible to breed the larger Jumbo Pekins with the regular ones to get a good in between size Pekin? I love the idea and hardiness of the Jumbos since winters are a bit brutal where I'm located but am aware of the leg issues due to the heftier weight.

Also, what are the white crested ducks available on the big hatchery sites? Are they just crested Pekins?

2. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Crossing the Road

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    If you end up with any male Pekins, be sure to keep them away from female runners. Even a regular sized Pekin drake (mine is about 14 pounds) would very likely injure a Runner if he attempted to mate her.

As far as hatcheries go, the only sell Jumbo & regular sized Pekins. All of my ducks have done fine during winter. They seem to have a tougher time dealing with our heat.

Sorry, I have no idea about the crested ducks that hatcheries sell.

Anabariful and Herdcutter like this.
  3. Anabariful

Anabariful Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Beautiful Ohio
    Thanks for the response! The white crested ones look just like Pekins but they have the pompadour on top. It doesn't say what they are though. It just calls them crested ducks. :/

4. Anabariful

Anabariful Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Beautiful Ohio
    IMG_1873.PNG This is from Meyer..

5. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Crossing the Road

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    I would steer clear of crested ducks. The cause of the crest is essentially an area where the skull didn't properly close. The feathers don't grow right there. I've known several ducklings with very large crests that didn't survive.

Anabariful likes this.
  6. Anabariful

Anabariful Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Beautiful Ohio
    I plan on steering clear as I know it can cause health issues such as seizures, deafness, etc. Honestly was just curious if they were some kind of Pekin or what? Thanks though! :)

Debs Flock likes this.
  7. Herdcutter

Herdcutter Songster

Apr 8, 2014
    Northern Michigan

I would say they are more ornamental than meat/egg duck. Pekin are great ducks. They have a wonderful personality.

Anabariful likes this.
  8. Anabariful

Anabariful Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Beautiful Ohio
    They really are! We had one growing up and it was very pleasant! I also had Runners and so I stuck with them but now I'm having second thoughts lol.. I might NEED a few Pekin ;)

9. Herdcutter

Herdcutter Songster

Apr 8, 2014
    Northern Michigan
    No one is ever stuck with a duck. People ask me all the time to take their rabbits and chickens/roosters etc. I let them know that I'll take them off their hands. But I eat everything I take. :D:lau
    We love duck meat here. My son for his 7th birthday asked for a duck dinner.

Anabariful likes this.
  10. Anabariful

Anabariful Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Beautiful Ohio
    Hah! I totally get that! I actually have 3 drakes and 2 hens so I believe 2 will be dinner here soon. ;) But I meant stuck with them as in I decided to stay with Runners instead of doing Pekin again. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: