Pekin stopped laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Myra, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Myra

Myra Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    I have a one year old female pekin who has been a consistant egg layer since 6 months old - an egg every other day. But now she has stopped laying altogether. Her feathers look all ruffled, but besides that she is doing fine.

Should I be concerned?

Myra

2. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    I'm not sure, but could she be molting? She may just be pausing for awhile if that is the case.

3. Myra

Myra Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    I havn't been through a molt yet with my year old pekin drake & hen nor with my 4 chickens - so I don't know what to look for...do they go completely featherless? If they just lose a few feathers at a time and are quickly replaced with new feathers at the same time, I may never know as the birds around here quickly take all of the feathers on the ground (must be some pretty soft nests around here!).

Thanks,
    Myra

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  4. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    The only time my Pekins stopped laying was when the had a nest full of eggs and went broody.
    Ruffled feathers ... my ducks get ruffled looking when they're in a molt and when they're broody. Does your Pekin have a nest full of eggs? My Pekins all molted between 16 and 20 weeks.

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by