Pekin Underweight

duckiemom41

In the Brooder
May 19, 2018
My Pekin Lillie has had a Niacin deficiency and unable to walk for the last several weeks. I received some really great advise on this forum as to what to give her and she is improving everyday :) I did notice that she seems very small compared to our other duck Georgia. Lillie did have a loss of appetite for a while and has recently gotten it back so I am trying to fatten her back up. We are going out tonight to pick her up some stuff and I was wondering what the best things are to help her gain her weight back quickly.

Thanks-

What are you feeding little now? You want to make sure she is getting all good nourishment so a good feed is most important. If your not able to get duck feed I rec an All Flock that is made for all poultry. Keep up with whatever treatment you have been doing to treat the niacin deficiency so she recovers completely. Treats can be dried meal worms. Thawed peas. And shredded romaine lettice

What are you feeding little now? You want to make sure she is getting all good nourishment so a good feed is most important. If your not able to get duck feed I rec an All Flock that is made for all poultry. Keep up with whatever treatment you have been doing to treat the niacin deficiency so she recovers completely. Treats can be dried meal worms. Thawed peas. And shredded romaine lettice

She's getting Dumor chick starter/grower 20%. We tried dried crickets but she didn't go for that. She does get green peas 2-3 times a day. Maybe we should try meal worms?

Meal worms are my duck’s absolute favorite. Also maybe try some greens like bok choy, kale, and romaine lettuce. She might enjoy some other fruits and veggies such as bell peppers, tomatoes, strawberrys, and watermelon too. Oh and you could always dig up some earth worms from your yard if you’d be up to that lol. I’m glad to see that she’s improving everyday and I’m sure with some extra yummy snacks she’ll be doing better than ever in no time.

Oh and yeah some pics like Miss Lydia said would be great :)

Okay so over the past couple of days I have tried several different things to get Lillie to eat but she is just such a picky eater! She turned 8 weeks old yesterday. At 6 weeks old when we took her to the vet for not walking she weighed 5.5 lbs. I would be very surprised if she's put on any more since then. 1st of all she hates mill worms. She won't even open her mouth to taste it and shakes her head no at me. She won't eat crickets, scrambled eggs (I saw it online and I was willing to try anything), peanut butter, granola, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries. The Dr. gave me Critical Care for her to eat and she hates that too, so if I put it on her food she wont eat it. We tried to syringe feed it to her and that is just a fight and food gets everywhere from her shaking her head. I went to TSC and bought the Cattle vitamin B complex and have been squirting 1 ml every morning on to her food. I put corn and cat food on top of her starter/grower and then squirt the B complex on top of that. She will eat the corn and cat food and leave the duck food. As far as her walking.. she has started to stand up for a few seconds at a time and will kinda hop at times. I thought she would be walking again by now, but maybe I'm just ready for her to be all better. I'm kinda at my whit's end. A few of you have asked for pictures of my little rascal Lillie and her sassy big (much bigger) Sister Georgia. So I have put a couple pictures below. Lillie is of course the one laying down :(

Lillie.jpg
Lillie and Georgia.jpg

They sure are pretty. How long have you been using the BComplex? I’d stop with the corn and cat food Let her get good and hungry . Will she eat the cat food by itself? You could try putting the complex on it but she needs to get the full 1 ml a day.maybe syringe it a little at a time into her bill not down the throat but just small amounts let her swallow then again till all gone wrap her in a towel so she is more restrained corn isn’t anything but carbohydrates and she isn’t getting all the nutrients she needs by just eating them. Tough love is what’s needed here to get her on here feet

They sure are pretty. How long have you been using the BComplex? I’d stop with the corn and cat food Let her get good and hungry . Will she eat the cat food by itself? You could try putting the complex on it but she needs to get the full 1 ml a day.maybe syringe it a little at a time into her bill not down the throat but just small amounts let her swallow then again till all gone wrap her in a towel so she is more restrained corn isn’t anything but carbohydrates and she isn’t getting all the nutrients she needs by just eating them. Tough love is what’s needed here to get her on here feet

Thank you. I have been giving her the b complex for 12 days now. I've never tried the cat food by itself but I can try that in the morning. I only give it to her at breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom