Pekin Wing Problem?!?

ellieuki

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
Hey! My little Howie's wings seem to be having issues? He doesn't seem to be in pain and he uses his wings (stretching or drying out). Both wings look worrisome but the left side looks very strange. I've noticed it sort of slips or falls out of te other wing and he pulls it back up(hope that made some sense)... He is about 5 weeks or so.
Please let me know there is something wrong..

I have seen a number of reports about this, I think it is a developmental stage for some ducks.

Just feed a good balanced diet, plenty of fresh water, decent bedding, keep them safe from predators, and keep an eye on him.

Please keep us updated on how they are all doing.

Last edited:
Just an update :)
We live in Ocala, FL and somehow I couldn't find a vet to come to the farm to check on Howie (we live deep in farming country). So, I found a zoo Vet and called over my Mom to help me take Howie to the vet in the city - 40 minutes away!! I tried to explain to Howie why momma felt the need to take him to the Vet, he wasn't having any of it and vomited all over the car (Ducks apparently get car sick -__-) poor little fella. We meet with the Vet, Howie got a full exam (cutest thing I've ever seen) and she clipped off the feathers from the lower part of the wing. Apparently the lower part of the wing had been damaged when he was a duckling, which is causing his feathers to grow incorrectly. Since the feathers sort of drag on the floor, it's caused a lot of discomfort for Howie. She suggested amputating that section IF clipping the wing feathers doesn't work. Super happy to say that by just clipping the wings, Howie is walking around again, walking MUCH better, and looks quite handsome!! So - I just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate your suggestions - Awesome board with awesome duckie people!

Just an update
smile.png

We live in Ocala, FL and somehow I couldn't find a vet to come to the farm to check on Howie (we live deep in farming country). So, I found a zoo Vet and called over my Mom to help me take Howie to the vet in the city - 40 minutes away!! I tried to explain to Howie why momma felt the need to take him to the Vet, he wasn't having any of it and vomited all over the car (Ducks apparently get car sick -__-) poor little fella. We meet with the Vet, Howie got a full exam (cutest thing I've ever seen) and she clipped off the feathers from the lower part of the wing. Apparently the lower part of the wing had been damaged when he was a duckling, which is causing his feathers to grow incorrectly. Since the feathers sort of drag on the floor, it's caused a lot of discomfort for Howie. She suggested amputating that section IF clipping the wing feathers doesn't work. Super happy to say that by just clipping the wings, Howie is walking around again, walking MUCH better, and looks quite handsome!! So - I just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate your suggestions - Awesome board with awesome duckie people!
Thank you for letting us know about Howie, I'm glad to hear he has improved since getting the feathers clipped back. Poor thing sorry to hear he got car sick.

Back
Top Bottom