Pekin with black spots???

tkathleen

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 5, 2009
My 3 ducklings-who appeared to be Pekins-are almost 8 weeks now and about full grown. The 2 females look and sound like Pekins, but the male has a few small black irregular spots-had them on his baby down and on his adult feathers too-and has almost NO voice-sounds very different from my 2 adult males-1 Pekin, 1 Crested White, very, very raspy and quiet-like he's lost his voice. I'll see if I can get my husband to help me post a picture, but do y'all have any idea if he could be a true Pekin, or something else mixed in? He's bigger than my other males, even though he's only 8 wks, and all 3 of the ducklings have yellow, much less orange, bills and feet. Any thoughts?

Definantly a mix if he has black.
Males have the raspy almost no voice quack while the females are the loud QUAAAAACK ones.

Pictures would also help
smile.png

I'll work on the picture thing. I know males sound raspy, but he's 100 x raspier and quieter than my 2 adult males. I almost wondered if he's part Muscovy, except he really pretty much looks Pekin...What else is white with black spots? Any guesses on the mix, anyone?

OMG I think I know what it is! I think it's a pekin cayuga cross. Cayugas are just like pekins, but are black and don't talk that much at all.

really? Ive never heard that. The head and body shape looks differnt to me between cayugas and pekins. Pekins are loud and cayugas are quiet. Could happen though, hmm.. looks like i need to do some research!

Although - All my cayuga crosses have come out dark colors with bibbs.

Sounds like the cayuga cross theory is a good one. And more likely than this one cause of the quackless factor. But visually, you could be describing an ancona.
53184_anconaduckflock.jpeg

Interesting! He looks just like an Ancona with very few spots (just 3 or 4)...I know the feed store got the bunch from Privett Hatchery...I don't remember them even listing Anconasas available, but I wonder...I remember Swedish, Cayugas, Pekins, Buffs...but couldn't swear. It's a puzzle...

Back
Top Bottom