Pekin X Khaki?

Rooster2410

Songster
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
Couldn't seem to find this answer on google, but I am sure someone asked it at some point.

If you cross a Pekin with a Khaki, can you get a dual purpose bird that may lay less eggs, and may have less meat, but would still work well for dual purpose? If so should it be Pekin Drake with Khaki Duck, or vise versa?

What you will get is a mutt that might take after the mother or might take after the father, or might split the difference. Each duckling in your hatch is going to be different because they are mixed breed.

You don't get the best traits of each parent when you do a cross. You get a random selection out of all the possible traits. You could just as easily get a smaller duck that is a poor layer as you could get a larger duck that is a better layer.

There is already a large, meaty, fast growing duck very suitable for the table that lays a huge number of eggs. That is the Silver Appleyard.

Some lines of Pekin have been bred for improved egg laying, so if you are careful what you buy, you can get Pekins that are fast growing, large table birds that lay a lot of eggs.

Save yourself some steps, because someone else has already done the work for you.

I've been looking at the appleyards. They are pretty. Are'nt they a breed that needs to be bred (responsibly*)?

Actually, Dave Holderread did lots of experiments, and found crosses sired by Campbells (sexlink cross) provided daughters that were just as good layers as campbells, regardless of their mother breed (except muscovy)

I could be wrong, but I thought the White Layer from Metzers was a cross of Pekin and Campbell?

I believe a few different breeds were used to make the White layers those being included but I'm not for sure

Here is a picture of our buff X pekin baby. Momma is a buff and daddy is a pekin. We have two, one just hatched yesterday and both are smaller that a pekin hatch. I am anxious to see them grown. They really look like a sweed duckling. The newest one has more gold in its coat.

Tracy from Indiana

Oh my goodness that is so precious Congrats!!

Here is a picture of our buff X pekin baby. Momma is a buff and daddy is a pekin. We have two, one just hatched yesterday and both are smaller that a pekin hatch. I am anxious to see them grown. They really look like a sweed duckling. The newest one has more gold in its coat.

Tracy from Indiana

Back
Top Bottom