Pekin x wood duck cross?

Dogginfox

Crowing
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ga/ Hayesville, NC
I recently hatched a duckling from a batch of eggs i gathered from the duck nest in the chicken coop.

I have a Male Silver Appleyeard and a Female Pekin. The Duckling has black on its feet and im not sure where that fits into the genetics as both parents are pure bred and have orange feet.

Is it possible that one of the wood ducks mated with my Pekin? Im assuming that is possible. Right?

here is a pic of the little guy.

IMG_1580.jpg

It looks like a black/blue swedish ducling lol .
I dont know if a wood duck could pull of mating with a pekin .
Although his bill looks a little weird to me or is it just me Lol. It looks like a wood duck bill to me with the looks of a blue swedish duck .

Last edited:
AFAIK mallard- wood duck hybrids are extremely uncommon(nonexistent?).

It's your appleyard and pekin.

White is not a color. It's simply a gene that represses any expression of color and patterns the bird has. For all you know the pekin could be solid black all over.. except you can't see it because of the white. Like you threw white paint or covered a duck with a white towel, if that makes sense. So white pekins are able to and will throw colors in a cross with another duck that isn't white.

Cute thing, love the coloring on the feet.

Thanks, Dan.

Fascinating links, it's interesting to see how the patterns and colors express in the various hybrids, with some it seems like they hint at how a certain pattern must have started out/looked like when it first emerged.

Back
Top Bottom