peking duck rescued

seaside ducky

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
st augustine, florida
Hello to all.

Day before yesterday I rescued an injured full grown Peking duck from entering a large divided highway. After corralling him into my confined side yard (20 x 40), did I realize he has a wound to his right upper wing that looks like it may be a pellet gun wound. Not being my duck, he (she?) won't let me get close to examine the wound. Research locally revealed that animal control is not his best option for survival. As of today, (day 4) so far no one has posted that they have lost a pet duck. Also, my neighborhood is solid suburbia, no retention ponds, farms etc. just a neighborhood with lots of houses and backyards. The closest pond I can find that has white ducks is more than 20 miles away.

Tractor supply suggested adequate food, a small wading pool and an antibiotic for the infection..and good luck. I have gathered all of these things and my husband built a shelter for him with pine shavings for comfort at night. He seems comfortable enough now.
Q. Any tricks to assist expediting his trust so I can get him to a vet?
Q. Should his food be tossed on the ground or placed in a small shallow container?
Q. How to tell if this is a male or female?
Q. Any other suggestions or comments?
Thank you.

WOW.

Q1- Feed him some treats like peas or sunflower seeds and he'll probably run to you.
Q2-Small container
Q3-If he has a curled tail feather like this... (scroll down until it says male pekin
Q4- Depending on where you live keep him cool. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR DUCKIE
thumbsup.gif
:woot:weee:yiipchick:ya:clap:D
frow.gif
celebrate.gif

Well I would first get some electrolytes/antibiotics to put in the ducks food or water. You can find some electrolytes at your local pet/feed store for sure, but you may need to go to your vet to get antibiotics, and thats only if the wound is infected. Put the food in a shallow container, somewhere that it will stay dry.
Now I have rehabilitated a few ducks in the past, and I find offering treats is a good way to get the birds to be more trusting. Peas, sliced pears and watermelon I find are the most popular with ducks. I would toss the treats in so that the duck sees what your doing, then he/she will eventually associate you with the food/treats.

If you have a small kiddie pool or large container the duck could swim i then I would defiantly put it the pen for the duck to play in. This is also a great way to clean the wound. I would put about 1 tablespoon of Iodine per liter of water in the pool.

Now to tell if its a male or female there are a few ways.
1. Females have the classic 'quack', while the males have a raspy quack.
2. The males have a curly feather in the middle of there tail.

I would recommend that you find somewhere to lock him in securely at night. After all the nice things you have done, it would be a shame to lose him to predation.
I put out several containers that are too small for them to swim in, so they can always have "clean" water (dirt, but no poop), and of course they have a pool that they swim and bathe in. Plus some larger shallow containers that they like to play in also.
If he can free range and catch bugs and eat grasses, etc., it's not necessary to feed greens, but if not, check the list on this forum for acceptable greens and start feeding a bit of those too.
Good luck to you, nice that you are helping him.

Good work!

Ditto what others have said - shelter needs to be predator proof (weasels can squeeze through 1 inch gaps, I am told), treats can help win trust, antibiotics in water under guidance of a vet probably best, in any case vitamins, electrolytes, probiotics and healthy diet to boost immune system. I am told apple cider vinegar is a good tonic. Topically it may kill some bacteria, but is not a substitute for something like antibiotic ointment or blu-kote (anyone want to speak to the blu-kote idea?).

My flock seems to respond well to patience and attention. The duck's been abused - give him or her some time and good care, and you may be surprised.

Quote:
also make sure he or she has a bucket of or large enough container to dunk it's head into so it can keep it nostrils and eyes washed out. Bless you for taking it in and protecting it from death trying to cross a road. Someone must have shot it or at it to have an injury like that. Poor baby, hopefully if you decide to keep it you'll need to get it some good feed, duck or water fowl feed or Purnia flock raiser are good choices. All the best. Please let us know how it's going and
welcome-byc.gif

Feed it a DUCK food (I learned the hard way not to feed a duck chicken food unless it's Flock Raiser) in a pan next to a water dish deep enough for it to get its head down in. It needs a shelter that will keep out anything that could potentially kill it (also learned the hard way). We use hay for bedding as ours try and eat the wood chips. They'll eat, or try to, anything on the ground so make sure there's nothing left out that could harm it. Good luck!!

Thank You everyone. I was so surprised to get such immediate response. To update:

She (she is a she) is healing nicely. The wound on her wing is much smaller. I've been putting the antibiotic in her water daily. She loves her wading pool and is becoming more trusting to me. She is still very leary of my husband. He thinks it must have been a male that shot her.
We are building fences and shelters for her based on everyone's advice regarding safety. We are going to keep her and as soon as I figure out how, I'll post some pictures of her.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom