1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

peking ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by galvinkr22, Nov 6, 2009.

1. galvinkr22

galvinkr22 New Egg

Sep 7, 2009
    Couple of questions on my new ducks

I picked up 6 ducklings this summer. All Peking

I am now grinding my own feed

My chickens eat a cracked corn/wheat/oats and sunflower mix. . . .with a once a week protein crumble mix I make with venison
    I also add the avian 2000 vitamin supplement to the water.

Is that OK for my ducks.

All summer I added sweet corn stripped from the cobs for the ducks with some clover I pulled from the pasture.

Also what about housing for the winter. I live in western PA. Pretty cold here during winter. I built a nice shelter in their run, but they rarely use it. They just sleep on the ground. The run is covered with wood chips/saw dust I get from the local mill. . . . It packs down pretty quickly.

One more thing. . . .When can I expect any eggs?

Thank you

2. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    I'm assuming that you are adjusting the proportions of sunflower (~30% protein), wheat (~13% protein), oats (~11% protein) and corn (~7% protein) to come up with a mixture at around 15 or 16% protein. What about minerals such as calcium carbonate and dicalcium phospate? Are you grinding up bone meal?

Your housing sounds adequate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by