Peking egg - internal pip over 48 hours ago, external about 36...Intervene?

ProudMom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
How much longer should I wait to assist with the hatching? There is plenty of movement and chirping. The egg rocks sometimes a little. There is only a little slit in the membrane where he externally pipped, but he's breathing. About a nickel size of shell came off and we are able to see the membrane. It is just starting to tan and it has sort of "deflated" inwardly. This is allowing us to see his/her breathing. We really want this little duck to make it. Can anyone advise? Please?

(Note: I posted this in the Incubating and Hatching Forum but I'm not getting any responses. It might be because it is about ducks, so I thought I should cross post it here.)

Last edited:
My first duck egg to pip did that and the poor little guy died. I was told to leave it alone and do not assist. Well, after that little episode I won't sit back and wait. I know some take a while (24-48 hours), while others it's like an hour. He might just be resting up a bit. If he happens to break away more shell and then still is struggling I would do a little for him. I know there may be others on this site that may scold me but that is what I would do. You just have to make sure that the yolk is totally absorbed. If you see blood, then stop.

Thank you so much SouthernPride for you response. That is what I was thinking. I've watched tons of videos on intervening, so I think I can do it. I'll wait until my daughter comes home from school. She wanted to be there.

Back
Top Bottom