Peking with mobility issues

Taure

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 31, 2014
I picked up a female peking duck yesterday of unknown age. She is very obviously in pain and unable to move very far. She was at her previous home for a year and they reported she came to them this way. For the past year, she was eating mostly cheap brand cat food. They never purchased duck or chicken feed. My main thought is niacin. I'm feeding her what I have my mixed flock on (16% layer feed, peas, brewers yeast in water). I've read so much about dosage and types of niacin. I'd love to get some specific advice on what to do for this particular bird.

Some other information. She is actively laying and doesn't appear to have any broken bones or sores on her feet. She can stand and walk, but not very far. Again, it appears due to pain or weakness. She seems overweight to me, but this is my first go around with pekings.

I have her separated from the others and I want to get her in the pool today. She didn't even have a clean water source and nothing close to her. She has not been grooming herself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I finally got her to stand long enough to get a decent look at how she stands. That looks bow legged and pigeon toe to me.

Attachments

• DSCPDC_0001_BURST20210322093940314.JPG
    DSCPDC_0001_BURST20210322093940314.JPG
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 17
Thank you for adopting this duck and helping her!

My 7 year old crested pekin has chronic foot pain due to arthritis, as diagnosed by an avian vet. Her pain keeps her from grooming well. She is on daily pain medication and we keep her on soft surfaces. Before starting the medication, she didn't move much, but she is feeling better now. It is expensive, and she has regular lab work to monitor organ function.

It sounds like your duck may have some similarities to mine. My avian veterinarian told me that ducks often appear hunched and pull their necks into their bodies when they are in pain. And they sometimes squint, or slowly blink more than usual.

Thank you for adopting this duck and helping her!

My 7 year old crested pekin has chronic foot pain due to arthritis, as diagnosed by an avian vet. Her pain keeps her from grooming well. She is on daily pain medication and we keep her on soft surfaces. Before starting the medication, she didn't move much, but she is feeling better now. It is expensive, and she has regular lab work to monitor organ function.

It sounds like your duck may have some similarities to mine. My avian veterinarian told me that ducks often appear hunched and pull their necks into their bodies when they are in pain. And they sometimes squint, or slowly blink more than usual.
Thank you. I'd love to get her on some pain meds.
She wants to round herself out. Trying to tuck her tail under her.

Attachments

• DSC_4138.JPG
    DSC_4138.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
That picture kind of reminds me of my duck Pigeon when I was having egg laying issues? Any chance she is egg bound or trying to push out a soft shelled egg?

Thank you. I'd love to get her on some pain meds.
She wants to round herself out. Trying to tuck her tail under her.
I don't know what the tucked tail means, I've seen a few members post photos like this.

I have had 2 of my ducks softly tuck their tails down, not quite so dramatically. One was eggbound and the other had a little prolapse. So I do wonder if it means she is having pain related to that area? I have never asked my vet, and I am definitely speculating.

I also saw the pushed down tail with egg laying issues, it's so sad that her old owners just let her suffer like this for a year :( it really is great that you took her in and are trying to help her!! Honestly, if you have an avian vet in your area that is your best bet to figure out the problem. Since her old owners said she was like that when they got her and they have had her for a year, I would get her to a vet asap to determine the best way to treat her.

Thank you. I'll see if I can find one in my area. Can they be egg bound and still lay? She had a clutch of three eggs (all good) when I picked her up yesterday.

Thank you. I'll see if I can find one in my area. Can they be egg bound and still lay? She had a clutch of three eggs (all good) when I picked her up yesterday.
If she is currently laying maybe she became eggbound after you picked her up? But not sure. While my girl was having egg laying issues if I touched anywhere near her vent it would cause a reaction similar to what that picture you posted looks like. Does what she is doing look anything like this?
https://youtube.com/shorts/bt2cOxEsDN8

Back
Top Bottom