Pekins by the pond?

pmoore

Chirping
May 13, 2018
Ohio
I have four Pekin ducks which are currently on the front of my property in our barn with an enclosed run throughout the day. We have a large pond on the back part of our property and feel the ducks would really enjoy it down there, but I'm concerned about their safety and housing at night. I do not think that they would mosey their way up to the barn because it is a decent walk, especially for some ducks.
Do you think I'd have any luck building a house for them by the pond for them to retreat to and making sure they are locked up at night? Any recommendations or advice is welcome!
And here's a picture of my four duckies :)
20180516_162836_HDR.jpg

There are some things you may try... On days that you are going to be home and have the time, let them into pond. Then about the time you want them to go to coop, go out with some treats and get them out of water. Then herd them into their current location. I have read of peeps using drones to herd their aquatic fowl. Its just an IDEA.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

My Pekin duck is TERRIFIED of "real" water. I had envisioned him happily swimming on our lake during the day, but have settled for watching him watching him splash in the kiddie pool. But while doing research on ducks I did see several duck houses next to ponds. The owners would just lock the birds up at night so they would be safe from predators. So something like that may work for you. Good luck!:)

My Pekin duck is TERRIFIED of "real" water. I had envisioned him happily swimming on our lake during the day, but have settled for watching him watching him splash in the kiddie pool. But while doing research on ducks I did see several duck houses next to ponds. The owners would just lock the birds up at night so they would be safe from predators. So something like that may work for you. Good luck!:)

Ha--mine won't go in the pool unless I put them there and they are done after 2 minutes. A pond or lake would give them a heart attack.

Back
Top Bottom