Pekins laying a sitting

826flewtheCoop

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 31, 2013
we are new to the chicken and duck world and could use some advise and help. My Pekin, Donaisy, is laying one egg every day, she is not sitting on them will they incubate or do i need to take them out of the coop? I have tried to do some research on this but have not gotten a clear answer on this. Hoping that someone can help me out. Thanks

we are new to the chicken and duck world and could use some advise and help. My Pekin, Donaisy, is laying one egg every day, she is not sitting on them will they incubate or do i need to take them out of the coop? I have tried to do some research on this but have not gotten a clear answer on this. Hoping that someone can help me out. Thanks
If she is going to brood it will be after she has laid the number of eggs she feels is enough, so how many eggs does she have now? and once she has laid the amount she likes she will begin to brood if she is feeling the hormonal urge, some ducks never go broody. Hopefully yours will. You have to leave the eggs in the nest though and give her a chance to decide.
welcome-byc.gif
go here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ead-for-ducks-2013-edition/1510#post_11927611 ands read post 1518 for some encouragement .

Last edited:
thank you Miss Lydia, I will wait and see if she broods..

I just noticed that I gave a hen laying in the same spot as my duck, will this make a difference to her?

thank you Miss Lydia, I will wait and see if she broods..

I just noticed that I gave a hen laying in the same spot as my duck, will this make a difference to her?
Looks like your hen maybe thinking about sitting on some duck eggs. might make the Pekin less apt to want to sit. But if you want ducklings you might let the hen have a go at it they do pretty good at hatching ducklings actually.

Back
Top Bottom