Pellets or Crumbles?

andysgirl

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2016
Hi, I started out feeding my flock crumble feed. I decided to try pellets. And they don't seem to eat it as much. It's taking forever to got thru the bag of pellets. Next time I'll feed crumbles. Has anyone else noticed if their flock prefers one over the other? Maybe mine are just picky.
1f644.png

it may take time to adjust, or they just will alwaus have a preference. yes, it does happen that they come to orefer one over the other. esp if they are spoiled by having feed sitting in front of them all the time and can afford to be picky.

I have the same problem my chickens would not eat the pellets they just preferred crumbles or laying mash and I have noticed there is a lot more waste with the crumbles and mash but they just won't eat the pellets so I think it is pickey eating!!!
1f621.png
1f621.png

I seem to think that hens lay better with pellets mine always look like they have a hard time eating the crumbles like there too dry and get hung up so I feed pellets and hen scratch

andysgirl
I've never seen a chicken that wouldn't eat pellets when they really get hungry. Chickens don't like change and as a result may be slow to accept pellets but will get over it in time.All of my birds eat pellets as soon as their big enough to handle them. One of the reasons you may not be going thru much food is there is far less waste with pellets than there is with crumbles.

Mine, like yours will eat WHATEVER is in there feeder, but we prefer the layer mash, crumbles next and pellets least. The mash is least messy and less waste, the pellets they scratch 50% if not more out of the feeder and onto the ground! But they dont care which they get. That feeder was made by me, my wife saw an idea in some antique farm add, and i built it from her vision!! Works great, holds 100+ pounds of feed, and the hopper design IS rodent proof.

Back
Top Bottom