Pellets versus crumbles

zekii

Songster
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
New Hampsha
Starting my layers on some layer feed this week, and want to know what the pros/cons are of pellet feed versus crumbles ?
Currently using a flock raiser crumble, and the birds have been doing well on it.

D.gif

Last edited:
If you have bantams,I would continue to feed crumble form as have lost birds to choking on both forms. Definately less wastage with the pellet form when fed to standard size birds. Whatever form you feed,make sure water is always available. And if your birds happen to run out of feed & water. Always fill the water first or they will gorge & choke on any kind of dry feed. Everytime you open a new bag of feed it is a good idea to crumble some in your hand to check for hardness as there can be difference from lot # to lot number. I have lost smaller/younger birds not realizing they could not get enough to eat if the feed was "too hard". I now "proceess" the crumbles to near powder for starting small bantams as they often cannot get the larger hard crumbles in their tiny beaks when first hatched.

I have all bantams but 2 and we used the crumbles forever but they waste them horribly! So we have switched to pellets and so much better and they don't seam to care either way. Never had any trouble w/ them not being able to eat it or digest. By the time they are old enough for layer feed they are big enough to eat pellets.

I use crumbles only because I have tried the pellets and my picky gals won't eat them. They do waste but what they waste I feed the crows with. They keep the hawks away.

I just asked this same question at TSC today. I was told the same thing...crumble will get wasted. However, my hens do not seem to make a mess with their grower crumble so I think Im going to go with the crumble and if a problem arrises where I see waste...Ill switch to the pellets

Back
Top Bottom