Pellets vs crumbles? And other food questions.

Quote:
Okay so what is the reason for feeding a higher protien level??? Sorry im still very new to all thsi.

Quote:
lol.png
My question to your comment is when do you start offering them the oyster shells?

Quote:
lol.png
My question to your comment is when do you start offering them the oyster shells?

My answer to your question to his comment is: Free choice oyster shell should be offered as soon as they start to lay.
lol.png

Last edited:
My advise is get get several smaller bags of different things and see what they like, and then use that research to get the right food or fix a mix

Okay, crumble or pellet question.

I have 2 unclipped beak 1 yo RIR hens and 6 20 week old Red Star pullets (not yet laying) that have clipped beaks.
The RS's leave a great deal of the crumble behind. The RIR's snap up everything!
I haven't mixed the flocks or this would be no problem - the RIR's would clean up after the RS's.
In the mean time while they are separated should I switch the RS's to pellets?
Will they be able to break these up?
TIA

I switched to pellets because they were wasting so much food. I keep them on saw dust and they could not see the crumbles on the floor. They had no problem switching over. I also made a feeder ring out of a 19 inch circular plant tray because I could not find one for a 5 gal Little Giant feeder. I bet I have cut the food usage by half. I also now mix in 20% protein turkey grower pellets at 50/50 with the layer pellets. They also have free choice grit and oyster shell.

I wonder if the person who was seeing complete pellets in their droppings was providing grit.

Back
Top Bottom