Pellets

Neolones

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
I am ready to pull the trigger & no longer feed my girls crumbles/grain feed. I have been giving them Scratch & Peck, that is mostly crumbles & grains.They love it, but that type of food has attracted lots of squirrels & birds. I have tried pellets before, the squirrels would not touch that feed, but also my girls would not eat it. The longest they went was 1 week of not eating the pellets, before I panicked & switch them back to Scratch & Peck.

Would they starve to death if I do not give in, and just give them pellets? I just want to be mentally ready, not to cave when they are not touching the pellets.

Has anybody had girls that refuse to eat pellets? How long they went without eating until they ate the pellets?

My girls free range, so they have access to grass & bugs.

Would they starve to death if I do not give in, and just give them pellets? I just want to be mentally ready, not to cave when they are not touching the pellets.

Has anybody had girls that refuse to eat pellets? How long they went without eating until they ate the pellets?

They may try to hold out as long as possible, but no they should not deliberately starve themselves (though they'll probably load up more while free ranging).

I feed both Scratch & Peck fermented as well as dry pellets, and while the chickens prefer the S&P they have no issue eating pellets the rest of the day. Try serving the pellets wet for a few days as that may be more appetizing to them and help them get used to the taste.

Back
Top Bottom