Pellets

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
When can younger birds start eating pellets? I currently have 11 1 yr old hens, 4 16week old pullets, and 4 7 week old pullets. I feed all flock but switched to crumble when I integrated the chicks because they couldn't eat the pellets. I'm so tired of the crumble. They make suck a mess with it and most if it ends up on the ground. When will the 7 weekers be able to eat the pellets because I am so ready to change back.

When can younger birds start eating pellets? I currently have 11 1 yr old hens, 4 16week old pullets, and 4 7 week old pullets. I feed all flock but switched to crumble when I integrated the chicks because they couldn't eat the pellets. I'm so tired of the crumble. They make suck a mess with it and most if it ends up on the ground. When will the 7 weekers be able to eat the pellets because I am so ready to change back.
IF I were you, I would get pellets and if they cant eat it just add a little bit of water and let it sit for 1 minute. Then just try to feed them the pellets slowly once they can. I have had chickens who could eat it and some who cant.

Depends on how big the pellets are, I guess. Physically they should be able to eat smaller pellets right now/in a week or so without issue, but I've seen some pretty massive grower pellets that probably would be best for birds 14, 16 weeks and up?

Depends on how big the pellets are, I guess. Physically they should be able to eat smaller pellets right now/in a week or so without issue, but I've seen some pretty massive grower pellets that probably would be best for birds 14, 16 weeks and up?
I still have about half a bag of crumble left and that will probably last about another week or so. I know I had my 15 week olds eating the pellets before I got these babies but I cant remember when I started them eating pellets.

Hm, do you happen to still have some pellets on hand? You could try putting out some right now and see if the 7 week olds will eat them - if they will, then you could switch as soon as you're done with the crumble.

My hubby accidentally put out layer pellets one morning when our recent chicks were around 6 weeks old and the chicks were willing to eat those (until I realized the mistake and took them away).

The problem isn't just the physical size of pellets, but also the nutrient composition. Your 7-week-old chicks have different nutritional needs from your adult laying hens. If you are talking about feeding layer pellets, I wouldn't use those until your chicks are laying (so, ~20 weeks of age). If you can get all-flock pellets, you can use them much earlier. I've seen all-flock pellets in a variety of sizes, so that would depend on what is available to you.

The problem isn't just the physical size of pellets, but also the nutrient composition. Your 7-week-old chicks have different nutritional needs from your adult laying hens. If you are talking about feeding layer pellets, I wouldn't use those until your chicks are laying (so, ~20 weeks of age). If you can get all-flock pellets, you can use them much earlier. I've seen all-flock pellets in a variety of sizes, so that would depend on what is available to you.
Like I said above, I feed all flock. I never feed layer pellets as I dont always have layers. Between 18 birds someone is always molting, broody, or just not laying.

Hm, do you happen to still have some pellets on hand? You could try putting out some right now and see if the 7 week olds will eat them - if they will, then you could switch as soon as you're done with the crumble.

My hubby accidentally put out layer pellets one morning when our recent chicks were around 6 weeks old and the chicks were willing to eat those (until I realized the mistake and took them away).
I dont have any more on hand. I had switched to crumble once we acquired these chicks so I wouldnt have 2 bags of feed open. I'll get a bag of pellets and see how they do before I run out of crumble.

Back
Top Bottom