pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Darryl508, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Darryl508

Darryl508 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    pomona mo
    hello everyone i started feeding my hens pellets because they just waste the crumbles now they will not eat the pellets i bought the pellets monday and still today they have not eaten any of them they cleaned up every drop of the crumbles that was on the ground ... but still its been 5 days what should i do i have a 50 lbs bag should i try to grind it up or just leave it there untill they eat it...????

2. johnorem

johnorem Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    I started my four month old pullets on pellets, they refused to eat them. I put some through the mini food processor, no go. I moistened some to make a mush, a little better. I bought the crumbles and they eat them, don't love them but do eat them.

I feed in a two inch dia. pvc feeder ending in a blocked 45 degree "Y". They have to put their head into the opening in the fitting to eat and I have noticed very little spillage. Feeding in an open trough they like to fling feed while they eat.

Things they really like to eat are diced canned corned beef, picking the bones after I make chicken broth, and cleaning the bone of a spiral sliced ham.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by