Pen Netting Question

doudini2

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am in a process of planning to make a fenced in enclosure in the yard for my peacock. It will be adjacent to the garage and along wooden fence on 2 of four sides. So 2 sides are exposed and there will be 2 layers of wire there and buried. Is two layers overactive, if I put 1" hex, do I have to pu 2" by 4" as well next to it?
Also I am puzzled by the netting for the top. It sounds like we need it so he does not break his neck. But won't the predators jump from the garage roof or the adjacent structures right on top of the net and bite through it? I want to put some electric wire around the perimeter on the parts where there is no garage wall and the wooden fence. But will it be enough? I am getting soos paranoid, cannot imagine my baby being eaten by a fox. How can I put electric wire along the roof or fence? I am not sure that is even possible. Is there a way to put wire on top as well, and then suspend the net below it maybe 1' or 2' so there is some room for him to hit the net?

I am ordering from BF supplies, is that all right, or are there any cheaper alternatives. Also where would I get electric wire and equipment?

But, what about their necks, they won't break them on the chicken wire?

Quote:
HUH?
hu.gif

I mean, if there is a wire, not netting on top, won't the peacock break it's neck, when it freaks out and fly to the ceiling?

The problem is not them hitting the ceiling it is their heads going through the wire and them basically getting hung by it, chicken wire and netting are to small. I would not use chicken wire because raccoons can rip right through it.

NO, that is the problem if you have wire or anything else on top that DOES NOT GIVE when they hit the top they CAN and WILL break there necks, that is why most people use netting so it will give and not hurt them as much.....

Steve

We use 2" Top Flight netting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom