Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Duck

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Goose

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Muscovy

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
bird sitter, can I offer some advice? You put a poll out about who pens their ducks, and then you become offended when peeps give replies that you don't agree with. This makes no sense. BYC is a public forum, and anyone can post an opinion (in an appropriate way, of course, and no one has said anything offensive thus far in this thread.)

That said, I do a bit of both. Since I work full time, I am not home during the day, and I will not allow my ducks out when I'm not there to watch over them. I agree with others that it's my responsibility to provide good care & protect them when need be. On the other hand, I can't imagine that ANYONE can dispute that free range time is one of the best things you can do for a critter. For them to be able to pick & choose what to eat (research indicates they can actually "self medicate"; i.e., if they are lacking something in their diet, they'll seek out plants that are rich in it to supplement their systems), and I personally believe it's a sort of bonding/social thing for them to "run as a pack" as well.

However, ANY TIME you allow critters (expecially fowl) out of a safe enclosure, you're taking chances. It's a given, and you need to be prepared for the potential consequences. Some weigh it out and feel it's most definitely worth it, others do not. EITHER WAY, it's a personal choice, and neither is wrong.

I would also add that I do believe it's wrong to "smack down" anyone who does the opposite of what you believe is right. To say, "you have to pen them 24/7, as it's your responsibility to protect them" is a bit closed-minded in my book. "Protect them" may be, for some folks, allowing them to range. If that works for you, your flock is healthy and happy, then carry on! The opposite is true as well. There's absolutely nothing wrong with penning your birds if you are not in a situation where they will have protection when they're out free ranging. So, how about a bit more tolerance...from all? Just sayin'.

Last edited:
It makes no difference who the other people are that do it, that doesn't make it okay.

You know the old saying, "if he jumped from a bridge, does that mean you would follow?" Same thing here. Frankly, you're argumentative, and thus far, seem quite unwilling to listen to anyone else's opinion, even when they are in agreement with you. If you want to range your birds, do it, but know the consequences - that's all.

My DH complains that he can't hear me sometimes...he has a hearing aid, but chooses to not wear it. So, I told him he has two choices: wear the hearing aid so he can hear, or zip his pie hole.
wink.png

I do. I believe it's my responsibility to keep my birds safe from all predatory threats. In my particular region it would be much too risky to free range anyone.

Wild and Domestic ducks are very different animals. Wild ducklings are raised by wild parents and have been taught survival skills. Domestic ducks are literally "Sitting Ducks" when it comes to predators. Also the majority of breeds are much too heavy to fly. Even if they can get a couple of feet of the ground they can't remain airborne for long. I personally raise bantam ducks so allowing them to fly around in this area would literally be a death sentence.

I fall into the sometimes, i have a fenced area but my birds are full flight so some leave, forage and return lol I used to totally free range my birds but after two loses i changed it. I think each circumstance has to be evaluated as people have different set-ups and birds, some breeds don't even fly for instance. My one drake, the biggest doesn't he's just too big to get up off the ground by more than a few inches.

I should add, i have always locked my birds up in predator proof housing each night even before i had a fenced area.

Last edited:
I don't get it! I mean they can fly and what's the point other than keeping them safe? In the wild or in local ponds they can stay alive so what's the catch here?

Well, my ducks can't get more than 3" off the ground so I wouldn't say they can fly. That being said, I guess I keep them penned although yarded would be a better term. They stay in their yard 50'x75' all day unless we are outside to ducksit them and then they get to roam around "outside". I would never let mine roam around unattended though, it ould be too easy for them to get out onto the road or onto the neighbors property.

Also, I don't get the "take me to jail" post but there is no need to get your knickers in a twist because people might not agree with you. You put up a poll for goodness sake, that implies you are interested in how other's keep their ducks...or you just want to pick fights with people on here and if that is the case, not cool at all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom