Pen size for Bachelor Flock of Four?

irradiatedsnakes

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 9, 2018
So, we have 17 chickens, at the moment. The hens are just about a month away from laying age, so they're by no means babies but they're not full-grown yet. Out of these, 7 are roosters, and of those 7, 4 are very friendly, affectionate, and long story short, we want to keep them. They're three cubalayas (aka, pretty small) and one Jersey Giant (he's huge!). In addition, we have an old jersey rooster that a friend has been taking care of while we rebuild our flock, and we hope to eventually get him back and integrate him. So, that leaves us with leaving 1 rooster with the 10 hens, and having 4 in a bachelor flock separate from all the hens.

What I'm trying to find is what might be a good baseline for how much space these 4 roosters need to get along alright. I'm aware that this does depend on the roos temperaments and attitudes towards one another, but since they haven't yet reached the age that their hormones peak, I don't think I can make that particular judgement yet. So, if anybody has experience with bachelor flocks, what might be a good size of coop & run to start with for these 4 roos? We have plenty of space, so that's not a big deal to fence some in. Thanks!

(and here's a picture of one of them, for good measure. his name's danny, this is him falling sleep on my leg :) )
image0.png

At least the 4 foot space per bird still applies be aware soon they will do the bumb
May want to place a few then

4 square feet per bird is a good starting point.
But as they grow older, they could potentially need a lot more space than that, depending on their individual temperaments.

You could just go big, maybe 4 times the usual amount of space--then you'll be all set when you find a few more wonderful roosters ;)

Back
Top Bottom