Penciled over Barred rocks???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by riftnreef, Feb 2, 2012.

1. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    If I have a Penciled Rock roo over Barred hens, what would I expect from the offspring? I will have just the one roo over both my penciled and barred hens, and wondered when I go to hatch if I will have barred and penciled chicks or penciled and some sort of wierd mix mutt. Thanks!

2. pastorwalt

pastorwalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Black hens (with some silver leakage?) & Barred roosters
    walt

3. riftnreef

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Great! So, oddball hens I can keep or sell for layers, barred cockerels can be processed, and any penciled cockerels can be held back for growing out. My fear was that they would throw a penciled chick with hidden genes that could ruin a breeding program down the road.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You wont get any Penciled birds out of this cross.

Chris

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    He said that he had penciled hens also. I think that was what he was saying about penciled cockerals.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I was referring to the Penciled Barred Cross,
    Note that I said, " You wont get any Penciled birds out of this cross. ''

7. pastorwalt

pastorwalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    "My fear was that they would throw a penciled chick with hidden genes that could ruin a breeding program down the road."
    No need to fear. Chicks with the barred and /or "E" extended black genes will be obvious. These are dominant.
    Weird things could happen if you used the f1 barred roosters for breeding. But you aren't doing that.
    Walt

8. riftnreef

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Thanks for the replies all. I suppose the most basic solution is to remove the barred hens and keep the pen strictly penciled, but it seems a shame to put four hens to a coop by themselves. I'm just glad that I will be able to spot clearly after they feather out any chicks that are the product of those barred hens and seperate them out. My limited understand of genetics has me to udnerstand that in some instances a dominate color or patteren will show through and a recessive trait will lay dormant...however with other crosses, the colors or patterens will "blend". Not sure how some of you memorize all of the combinations, but I'm glad you have. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by