Pendulous Crop??

If the crop is sour I would not give antibiotics this can make it worse. I would use an anti-fungal or vaginal yeast cream as described in the article below. Personally I use Clotrimazole since it's usually a little cheaper, but Miconazole works well too.
Withholding food for 24 hours may help to empty the crop but always make water available.

She may benefit from a crop bra to lift the crop so the contents will empty but I would use caution not to press too much or you risk aspiration. You may want to treat for a couple of days then add the bra.

How to administer medications and make a crop bra are in the article linked below. Do keep in mind that crop issues can often be a symptom of an underlying condition - reproductive disorders, infection, worms, etc.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I face one like that. I tried for several days to break up the mass in her crop and get it cleared but no luck. She’s been living with it impacted AND pendulous for at least a year though....

I have an older hen that developed pendulum crop late summer, just a few mos after being an awesome broody mom raising 3 chicks over the spring. Other than that, she does fine. It's not as bad as it was, which is good and not typical, usually once a chicken has a stretched out crop hanging low, they stay low. To this day I'm not sure what happened with her, but she was starting molt, in a grumpy, lost appetite mood. I gave her Probiotics and some charcoal pills to aid digestion, as her breath did smell a bit sour...not sour crop sour, but before it gets bad (I have a nose like a bloodhound). Her crop was not full & not fully sour...yet anyway.

These charcoal pills are sold for pigeons but they can be given to chickens. A pigeon dose is 2, so I give a chicken 4 or 5 depending on weight.
I'm not saying this is a "cure" for a bad sour crop, but they do stimulate appetite if a bird goes light (like some do when molting) they help with digestion & in some cases, can get things moving in better digestive shape in the crop Before they turn sour.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0067YV9TY/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_fabc_C5oeGbF5ZKZ6H

The times where a bird did have sour crop I did sometimes have to flush out, but it can be dangerous with them possibly choking. Pigeons are easier than chickens, at least for me. They definitely need to drink a lot water, before & afterwards. I've heard a pinch of baking soda in the water can help neutralize a sour crop & have used it. Before letting a sour crop bird eat more, need to be sure crop is moving & digesting, so a lot of drinking water can help, 1st I added a pinchnof baking soda, then later switched to water with Probiotics.

There are also crop bras, you can make or buy.

http://www.hensaver.com/Crop-Bra.html

Last edited:
Her crop looks the tiniest bit smaller in my opinion. I will get her the clotrimazole today and see if it helps. I think she is feeling better because she started drinking water. EDIT: I meant to say that her crop feels less squishy.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Her crop looks the tiniest bit smaller in my opinion. I will get her the clotrimazole today and see if it helps. I think she is feeling better because she started drinking water.View attachment 2504756
You can't always go by looks.
You need to feel the crop to gauge function. Hens with crop issues will often drink a lot of water.

Back
Top Bottom