Penedesencas

tx_dane_mom

Songster
12 Years
Sep 23, 2007
SE Texas
I am wanting to add this bird to my flock as I read they are very heat tolerant & I think this would be ideal for my area (SE Tx.) I'm going to get some eggs from Ray Valentine - the Crele ones - and he says the Creles aren't as flighty as others. Can anyone tell my anything about this breed from personal experience?

I have blacks and YES there are a flighty bird, even the birds that I have raised are on the wild side. I think the blacks are a little bigger then the others, but Im not sure. The ones I have lay a really nice dark egg and they stay dark all year long. My older hen lays alot of double yoke eggs. Mine are not that good of layers, they will lay good for a week or so, then stop for a week or so, on and off. The roo will have a "Y" at the back end of his comb and some of my hens have a small "Y" on thier comb also. I hope that was of some help to you. Good luck to ya, Thanks.........ed......Portland, IN.........

Thanks Ed. Yea, I read that the blacks are more of a meat bird than the other colors. Hmm...I wonder if the others are 'off' layers like that. I hope not...my whole point in getting them is to have something that will continue to lay THROUGHOUT the heat...hmm guess we'll find out
wink.png

How do they compare to leghorns and fayoumis?

I have considered Penes due to our summers being 110-120F so.. but don't care for birds that flap around and screech at the mere sight of you opening the door..

Oh they do fly and screech at the sightest thing. They are just as nervous as Leghorns or even worse.

From one guy told me that he raises them, he said they are not the greatest layers, you would be lucky to get at least maybe 100 or so eggs out of them per year. They are not known for egg laying but for decorative eggs.

Drats and thanks. That is pretty much what everybody says about them.. except this little voice keeps telling me 'well yeah.. but let's just TRY out a few and see....' lol

I have some from Ray and they are pretty flighty for me worse than my leghorns. My leghorns are calm unless another roo messes with their hens. Before we let them free range we would have to sprinkle food on the opposite side of the door where we could get in. Once I let them freerange they don't bother you as much. The only hen I hatched out of that bunch will not have anything to do with the roos. She roost in the loft of the barn. She flies on the horses back and the horse walks around and the hen stays on the horses back.

I have to say the roos are beautiful!!

jackie

Geeze thats not very encouraging at all
sad.png
Hmm...maybe after a generation or 2 they can be made a bit more tame?

I have 5 hens and 3 roos, all 4 months old. The group of them together is flighty as all get out, but we brought one hen home from the farm and put her with our super-sweet and sociable hen mixture here at home, and she is settling down nicely. She comes running with the others now when I walk over, and stays close to eat the fresh corn I throw out. These guys were handled a lot as peeps, but were always freaked out, lol.

Back
Top Bottom