Penelope Passed

Jun 14, 2019
Mesa AZ
Penelope was doing so good and her wounds were almost healed. I put her out daily next to the other chickens but not on the same coup. Today it was 108 in AZ I had shade and all but she laid her first hard egg and then died. Could it have been bringing her from air conditioning at nighttime heat in the day? Not sure but we are sad she didn’t make it.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs It's very hard to say what may have happened. Necropsy is the best way to know for sure. Since she had a history of egg problems that could be related, or just coincidence. There may have been another underlying issue that caused her to be more sensitive to the heat. It's just very hard to know. I know it's difficult to lose one that you have taken special care of. So sorry.

Thank you for your kind reply. I keep thinking it’s my fault for taking her from air conditioning to heat but it could have been her wounds and the hard shell egg. I’ll never know but do miss her clucking in the morning waiting to get out. It could have been stress and heat as the others would not accept her. Note to others who live in high heat climates keep your chickens cool.

Back
Top Bottom