Penicillin 100 ml dosage?

I see she's outside. It may be better if you take her inside, and set her in a calm, quiet area with feed and water provided. To aid in expelling the material you could set her in a bathroom, and turn the shower, not touching her, but to raise the humidity in the room.

Hopefully, she passes the rest of the material soon, due to the slimy-like nature of the material, it's often hard for them to properly expel the material which can result in some lethargic behavior. If she doesn't pass it soon, I may try to lube up my finger, and insert it into her vent and see if I can feel any egg material, and try to gently pull it out.

The head shaking could be due to mites, ear infection, neurological, if she's gasping afterwards it could crop-related, or some sort of blockage. A video would be helpful. What did you use for the mite treatment?

I would check her crop, her abdominal area for swelling, and her whole body for mites if you can. If she is on the older side, and the lethargy doesn't improve, and the yellow-colored urates persists, it possible she has a reproductive disorder.

I will tag @Eggcessive , and @Wyorp Rock , as I hang out more on the duck forums, and am a little more familiar with the protocol we do there. They may suggest something different along the lines of treatment.

Thank you Isaac! Once she roosts tonight I will isolate her so I can monitor better. I’d like to get some electrolytes In her if I could. She has been eating, just not really drinking that I could see. I used diatomaceous earth in a large bag, put the birds one by one with their heads out of the bag and dusted all over their bodies and manually did it on their heads.

Good advice from @Isaac 0 above. In chickens most people would use 0.25 ml of Procaine Penicillin G given into the breast muscle daily for 4-5 days. Do not give it orally. Alternate sides of the breast daily for injections.

Grabbing her off the roost before daylight, or keeping her in a dog crate would be the bes t way to catch her for the injection. The crate would be good to keep track of her droppings, and how much she is eating and drinking. I would keep the crate with her flock. Giving her 1/2 of a Caltrate or calcium with vitamin D3 tablet for several days, would be good to see if it makes her egg shells hard.

Make sure that her crop is emptying overnight by early morning before she has any food or water. Adding a lot of water to a small bowl of chicken feed could get her to take mire water.

Thanks so much eggcessive ! Ok so I will make sure her penicillin dose is .25ml . I will isolate her to a larger dog crate to keep a closer eye on her. Would you also suggest electrolytes? I have a poultry electrolyte powder. I just didn’t want to add fuel to the fire depending on her condition. I did glove up and used lubrication to check her vent, their is no egg that I could feel. I will make her up a heavily watered mash and cross my fingers she gobbles it up! Thank you again so much!

Good advice from @Isaac 0 above. In chickens most people would use 0.25 ml of Procaine Penicillin G given into the breast muscle daily for 4-5 days. Do not give it orally. Alternate sides of the breast daily for injections.

Grabbing her off the roost before daylight, or keeping her in a dog crate would be the bes t way to catch her for the injection. The crate would be good to keep track of her droppings, and how much she is eating and drinking. I would keep the crate with her flock. Giving her 1/2 of a Caltrate or calcium with vitamin D3 tablet for several days, would be good to see if it makes her egg shells hard.

Make sure that her crop is emptying overnight by early morning before she has any food or water. Adding a lot of water to a small bowl of chicken feed could get her to take mire water.
Would the same dosage be ok for guinea fowl? .25ml per pound?

Penicillin is not very effective against respiratory diseases, but can be helpful with a wound infection or a reproductive infection, although amoxicillin would be better for those. Respiratory infections can be bacterial from mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) or coryza, or from viruses, such as ILT or infectious bronchitis. MG symptoms can respond to Tylosin, tetracyclines, Denagard, or enrofloxacin. Coryza is more treated with sulfa antibiotics or culling. Viruses do not respond to antibiotics.

If he has just a cough, I would look for other symptoms, such as watery/bubbly eye, eyelid swelling, gasping, or rattly breathing.

If you can find Tylan 50, you can give 0.25 ml orally 3 times a day for 5 days. Tylosin powder for the water can sometimes be found online at Jedds.com.

Thanks for the information. I will try the tylan 50 orally tomorrow. If there is anything else that might be of help that i could try please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom