Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

First of all, hi from Pittsburgh! Nice to see so many PA chicken lovers here.
frow.gif

Second, I'm not sure where to post this--I've cross listed it in local laws and ordinances--but maybe it would be relevant to any PA folks on this thread, too. I just received this information below from a friend, and am passing it on here, since these roos apparently now need homes because of our local laws and ordinances. Please spread the word if you can. I do not have anymore information about the roos than what you see here (I do not know number, breeds, ages, etc.)--please contact the W. Pa. Humane Society if you are interested.

Several roosters have come to live at the Western PA Humane Society farm on Fallen Timber Road in Elizabeth. The roosters need to find homes very soon. Unfortunately, the City of Pittsburgh has an ordinance that limits residents to a total of five chickens, and local authorities have begun to enforce the ordinance when they receive complaints by neighbors. A number of hens and roosters came to live at Fallen Timber as a result of these “sweeps.” The hens found homes immediately. In fact, the Fallen Timber facility now keeps a list of people waiting for more hens to become available for adoption. The roosters at Fallen Timber, however, still need good homes. Anyone interested can google: Western Pennsylvania Humane Society Fallen Timber for contact information and directions to the farm. Thanks so much.

Thanks!​

Thanks, GoldDogsMom! I know excess roos are always an issue, but I thought there might be soooome soul here looking for a few roos--figured it's worth a shot, given how many members BYC has. I wish I had more info on them--they could well be handsome young stock, and they'd probably get more looks if I knew their breeds, but it seems you have to call for that info, because the humane society doesn't have them pictured on their website yet. Here's to hoping!

Whoa, I posted that before seeing MTSarver's reply--awesome!!
big_smile.png
Hope it works out!

Last edited:
Quote:
WOW!!! Thank you for your interest in them, and for letting us know the happy results (I'm just sorry that you didn't get one, if you're actually in need of one and not just a good samaritan helping the poor roos out)! I feel like it might be due to BYC members' good (and fast!) work, because I got the information just this morning that they desperately needed homes! Well, this may turn into a recurring problem now that Pittsburgh officials are apparently cracking down on the 5 chicken rule, so the humane society board now knows to post to BYC if this happens again. Thanks again for your help!
love.gif

Quote:
WOW!!! Thank you for your interest in them, and for letting us know the happy results (I'm just sorry that you didn't get one, if you're actually in need of one and not just a good samaritan helping the poor roos out)! I feel like it might be due to BYC members' good (and fast!) work, because I got the information just this morning that they desperately needed homes! Well, this may turn into a recurring problem now that Pittsburgh officials are apparently cracking down on the 5 chicken rule, so the humane society board now knows to post to BYC if this happens again. Thanks again for your help!
love.gif

What came to my mind is that with all the department cuts in police stations all around the Pittsburgh area, they actually have time to go rounding up backyard chickens. hmmmm. Probably due to not so understanding neighbors.... Anyway, I did tell them to call me in the future if they get a run of huligan chickens... I was just doing the rescue thing but I am interested in increasing my flock.
love.gif

Quote:
I know, right? Lay off the chickens--if they have time for that, maybe they ought to investigate the string of thefts of electronics from cars that we've been having lately--not the most pressing issue, but surely more worthwhile than going around orphaning chickens. It does sound like it was the neighbors who complained, though. I've been lucky--I got day-olds that were all correctly sexed at the hatchery [accurate sexing being the main reason I felt I had to go with a hatchery], and my hens have been quiet and very popular with the neighbors. I wasn't sure what I was going to do if one of my girls turned out to be a boy! It's hard having city chickens, in that sense.

Anyway, I did tell them to call me in the future if they get a run of huligan chickens... I was just doing the rescue thing but I am interested in increasing my flock.

That's excellent--again, thanks!

Quote:
Well, I guess that's always a risk, but I assume they came with some kind of adoption fee to deter anyone looking for a free dinner. Better dinner than euthanasia, though, I suppose, if it came to that. I was actually wondering what the fee was going to be--I see from their website that most caged birds are $15, but of course chickens are not listed and it says fees may vary for non-listed bird breeds. I was hoping they wouldn't make it too high for the roosters, because even good-hearted rescuers will have their limit on what they're willing/able to pay for a standard roo.​

This is why we aren't keeping roos....even though we have several acres, the sound of crowing carries far and I feel uncomfortable about subjecting the neighbors to it since I don't intend to hatch eggs anymore. We enjoyed the roo but since we had to let him go (got too aggressive and we have young grandchildren), it is just nicer without him. I'm very conscientious about observing other peoples rights, but then again, the neighbors kids make as much noise as he did...just not all the time!!!

I'm glad there is a local agency willing to step up and accommodate a chicken in need! Thanks for posting this. It's a good thing to know.

Back
Top Bottom