Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Ugh. One of my turkey hens is down. Looks like Hoover might've been too rough, or the boyfriend accidentally hit her. her wing tips and hocks are abraded and a few gravel marks on her belly, plus her leg is swollen. The tendons all seem to be okay, but there's enough swelling to restrict circulation. I'm blaming it on the tom though, as far as the boyfriend is concerned. I don't think I've ever seen him look so miserable when he thought maybe he bumped her with the car. Poor baby girl. With all that weigh, I don't see how she'll ever get up again. Told him THAT'S why I wanted a few extra girls. I'll be a year behind pretty much, because I'll be keeping as many poults as possible this year to have a decent breeder group of at least eight more hens. Gotta research if turkeys can handle ibuprofen to help with the swelling.

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Betta, give her a bit of enteric coated aspirin. Shove it down her throat if you have to. It will help relieve the swelling and open up the blood vessels again.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    awwwww

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Button QUAIL incubating ~ Someone give me a rundown please? humidity ??? lockdown???? feed??? brooder temps???

6. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Thank you, RP. I have her in the kitchen for now, with fermented layer mash and clean water. I'll have to wait for the boyfriend to get home from the gym before I can get aspirin. The animal medicine cabinet is starting to rival our own! I just hope he pulls through. She's not eating, but this girl usually waits to eat. My turkeys are my favorite here, and it sucks seeing one in trouble. :(

7. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Sally, mine are done the same as chicken chicks, or any other fowl really. Some swear you have to grind feed, but I never have.

8. oletymer

oletymer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2012
    OMG!....[​IMG]My barred rock is laying and heres proof.....
    [​IMG]

9. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

Welcome Jim! You are way far North of me, you can look for people near you on the map in my signature. My daughter will be going to IGC in the summer, is that close to you?

10. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    YAY!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by