Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Ugh. One of my turkey hens is down. Looks like Hoover might've been too rough, or the boyfriend accidentally hit her. her wing tips and hocks are abraded and a few gravel marks on her belly, plus her leg is swollen. The tendons all seem to be okay, but there's enough swelling to restrict circulation. I'm blaming it on the tom though, as far as the boyfriend is concerned. I don't think I've ever seen him look so miserable when he thought maybe he bumped her with the car. Poor baby girl. With all that weigh, I don't see how she'll ever get up again. Told him THAT'S why I wanted a few extra girls. I'll be a year behind pretty much, because I'll be keeping as many poults as possible this year to have a decent breeder group of at least eight more hens. Gotta research if turkeys can handle ibuprofen to help with the swelling.

Ugh. One of my turkey hens is down. Looks like Hoover might've been too rough, or the boyfriend accidentally hit her. her wing tips and hocks are abraded and a few gravel marks on her belly, plus her leg is swollen. The tendons all seem to be okay, but there's enough swelling to restrict circulation. I'm blaming it on the tom though, as far as the boyfriend is concerned. I don't think I've ever seen him look so miserable when he thought maybe he bumped her with the car. Poor baby girl. With all that weigh, I don't see how she'll ever get up again. Told him THAT'S why I wanted a few extra girls. I'll be a year behind pretty much, because I'll be keeping as many poults as possible this year to have a decent breeder group of at least eight more hens. Gotta research if turkeys can handle ibuprofen to help with the swelling.
awwwww

Thank you, RP. I have her in the kitchen for now, with fermented layer mash and clean water. I'll have to wait for the boyfriend to get home from the gym before I can get aspirin. The animal medicine cabinet is starting to rival our own! I just hope he pulls through. She's not eating, but this girl usually waits to eat. My turkeys are my favorite here, and it sucks seeing one in trouble. :(

OMG!....
ep.gif
My barred rock is laying and heres proof.....

Hi,

I live on the outskirts of Stroudsburg, PA. No chickens, yet. I have my coop plans all set to begin building in late March, and have 15 chicks arriving the week of April 8th. Any other chicken enthusiasts in this area?

Jim

Welcome Jim! You are way far North of me, you can look for people near you on the map in my signature. My daughter will be going to IGC in the summer, is that close to you?

Back
Top Bottom